1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Lifting edge and dragging nozzle across bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by LabMinion, Feb 3, 2015.

1. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

I am using the M8 rods. MatterControl says I'm using Robo3DR1AUTOV1. My understanding is that this is not the correct version for my machine. I told MatterControl to update and it went through the process and said update was complete. However, after a restart/reconnect it still says it has the previous firmware and an update is needed. Sooooo...what gives?

Jeff

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Don't put too much confidence in their numbering convention. If you have M8 rods check the EEPRom settings and make sure it's 2560 steps per mm for Z

3. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

OK. Z is 2560 steps/mm (I attached a snap of my settings).

I was hoping my difficulty was due to outdated firmware. As defendermd pointed out I am under-extruding. Oddly, at the current default settings my prints come out within 0.1mm on X-Y-Z. When I correct the under-extruding using the "mark 100mm filament, extrude, check, calc" process I come out with z = 809 steps/mm. When I changed to the correct value The resulting print was 10% larger in Z. I double-checked the numbers and have done this before on my other printer.

Something isn't adding up here.

Jeff

Attached Files:

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

10% larger would make sense if you were running 5/16" rods. You counted 20ish threads per inch?

Otherwise do you have some extrusion multiplier or feed rate multiplier enabled.

5. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

I'm definitely running M8 rods. I verified by purchasing an M8 bolt and meshing the threads. I also checked a 5/16" bolt and it didn't mesh. Counting the threads gives me 21 tpi.

Extrusion multiplier is 1. I can't find a "feed rate multiplier" setting for some reason. I pretty much left all the settings as default when I setup the software. The only things I changed were the material (abs), filament diameter, and shutting the cooling fans off.

Assuming I do have the correct firmware, shouldn't I be able to save changes to my EEPROM settings permanently (reboot loses changes)?

Jeff

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure how to do that with MatterControl, but you can do it with the firmware source and the Arduino GUI.
    Edit it and upload.

7. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Spent some time trying to calibrate z steps using the 100mm straw technique. What I noticed is the extruder gear will randomly slow down from time to time while extruding the 100mm. It kept throwing off my measurements. I tried getting a consistent measurement 6 times but can't.

I'm thinking the controller or other hardware is bad. I'll talk to Robo3D about a return/replacement I guess.

Jeff

8. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

The stepper driver might need a little more juice. But I would wait and talk to Robo first.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Agreed, it might. I have not (myself) heard of any needing to adjust the extruder stepper driver, but that certainly does not rule it out.

10. LabMinion

LabMinion Member

Turns out it was simply a firmware update. I was running V1 and updated to V5. Printed all previous models that failed, and they came out great. Printed some larger stuff without issue as well.

I hesitated on the firmware update since people had mixed results updating in the forum. Also I got a bit confused/concerned that Matter Control told me an update was available, but it didn't update when I told it to. I ended up using the Arduino IDE. Oddly, Matter Control tells me the updated firmware is in place, but it claims there is still another update available. I'm just ignoring it since things work fine now.

Thank you to everyone for your help and encouragement. I am now a happy Robo 3D printer (and a bit smarter).

Jeff

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Safe bet. No need to update if you are not having issues.

12. SergeantPepper

SergeantPepper New Member

I just have to ask. Why is Robo3d shipping printers in December with V1 firmware, when we're now at V5?

Thanks,

13. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

If I had to guess. They have a container full of printers and no man power to go through and flash the firmware to them.

Also it really isn't that big of a deal.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The version number has almost no indication on the actual order of firmwares

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, don't make the mistake of trying to version a Robo -- insanity lies there. :)

16. SergeantPepper

Funny. From the commentary above, Mattercontrol reports which firmware version is on the printer. Ive just acquired a printer and its reporting a firmware version of "RoBo 3D". Should I upgrade?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Is there a problem you are trying to solve?
    Is it printing incorrectly?

If the answer to those is 'NO' then you answered yourself.

2 people like this.
  18. SergeantPepper

Im just learning as much stuff as I can about the printer. Often having the latest firmware fixes bugs etc. Im interested in knowing what version Im running. LabMinion reported hes running either V1 or V5, all I can see is, well, nothing helpful.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

20. Joshua R. Taylor

How do you add the gcode manually for it to save and always be used?