1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I am trying to upload Rc3 on my Robo R1 but keep getting error Doglcd_cs was not declared in this scope .It is in dogm_lcd_implementation.h

Rc3 came with graphic lcd preconfigured but i am using the reprap smart xxl lcd . What is the correct way to change it? i may have done it wrong.

2. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I got it . I had to comment out define doglcd

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

UPDATE: Some progress is being made over at the Marlin development community. They are talking about the imminent release of RC4 and the follow up of RC5. Unfortunately RC4 has introduced some new features (that shouldn't be what RC's are for) so it will require more testing than normal. RC5 is being talked about as a Bug Fix Only. If that is truly the case then a gold build (actual release) cannot be far behind that.

Shortly after 1.1.0-RC4 is posted I will update this thread.

Since RAR has been recently added as an acceptable upload file format, the next releases will be RAR files and not ZIP files.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not, but God bless them for trying :)

Thanks for the update.

5. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Looks like RC4 is already released

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I usually let the dust settle a day or two, besides this, I have a lot of Configuration.h file edits to do to make it work on the Robo. I should have RC4 up by Monday or Tuesday.

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

How does this look?

EDIT: I should note that this is with Mesh Bed Leveling enabled and for the Reprap XXL LCD, you'd need to add the Full Graphics libraries/etc. for the heathens that use that controller. :p

Attached Files:

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@daniel871 A quick glance looks okay, I already have the modified files for some in RAR files will be uploading soon.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here is the first batch of configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC4 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC4 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      Robo8mm_Defaults is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RoboPLUS_Defaults is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RoboTR8-8_Defaults is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 is not included in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Auto-Bed-Leveling enabled
    5. SD Card support
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#229 WheresWaldo, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Sonny's Robo3D likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here is the second batch of configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC4 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC4 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      Robo8mmMESH_Defaults is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RoboPLUSMESH_Defaults is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RoboTR8-8MESH_Defaults is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Redo the MESH leveling to save the new leveling mesh parameters.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Mesh bed leveling enabled
    5. SD card enabled
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#230 WheresWaldo, Mar 24, 2016
    WADZOQUADZ and Sonny's Robo3D like this.
  11. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Good job .Thanks for taking the time to do all the work. Question when modifying the config.h for say the official leadscrew upgrade is the only thing that needs to be changed the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT ?

Btw if anyone wants i found some code to add for running neopixel leds .Just some snippets added to config.h and marlinmain.cpp.
    http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63974

I have been working on my own neopixel code to make it do more little by little.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@WADZOQUADZ Yes basically all that is needed. But I already did this for you just download the appropriate rar file for the R1+PLUS.

13. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Gotcha, reason i was wondering is the numbers you have for the official leadscrew upgrade appear to be different from the numbers i pulled from Robo's original official leadscrew firmware. Wondering which is better to use?

These are the original numbers Robo has:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 25} // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1300 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves /robo
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
    // The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
    // For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
    // #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 20.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
    // #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 5.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
    #define DEFAULT_XYJERK 17.0 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

Also on a seperate note is there anything that needs to be changed in your configadv or languages files to use the xxl lcd ? Like expecially pertaining to the sdsupport ? I know in the config i comment out graphics and uncomment reprap smart lcd and i believe ultralcd.

#233 WADZOQUADZ, Mar 25, 2016
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The reason other parameters are changed from the "Official" Robo Marlin 1.0.0 is that they pulled those numbers out of their asses! The esteps is no where near correct for proper extrusion. The acceleration values leave you with very crappy looking prints. The modification put in for PID tuning should be redone for your particular Robo but are closer than simply using the Ultimaker defaults supplied by Marlin. Bed size is more wishful thinking and marketing than reality. There are more.

The only things changed in Configuration_adv.h is to enable baby-stepping on Z axis only
    The modification to language_en.h is to shorten LCD Contrast to simply Contrast, as the original is redundant and it is too long to actually display a value next to it.
    Edits to Default_Version.h are there to modify the text under the logo during Marlin boot-up

All edits are commented with //--ROBO-BH at the tail end of every modified line. A Diff can show you how little is really edited. Robo didn't even comment all their original changes to 1.0.0.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

With this new RC4 of Marlin, I think you only need to comment out the line
    Code:
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
    and uncomment the line
    Code:
    //#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
    As all dependencies are included when one or the other are enabled. I do not have ULTRA_LCD or DOGLCD uncommented as it is not necessary for the Full Graphics since it enables both those libraries in another file.

SD card support for the LCD controller is already enabled in this version
    Menu encoder direction is also reversed in this but is now easier to edit with a corresponding entry in Configuration.h. The encoder button also beeps when you press it .

16. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Thanks once again. Im not sure where they got that 723 number either. i just put the leadscrew specs into a calculator and also got 800. I have been running RC3 with the original numbers posted above and it has been printing amazing . I will try it with your numbers for now on though. I had all the rest of your numbers other then the ones i posted above already the same. Yes i have been following the //Robobh comment you have been using. Also yes i have been using my own hotend and bed PID's .

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

723 is just an eSteps number they guessed at initially (or somehow came up with). It is close for the extruder, but not exact.

WADZOQUADZ likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

For everyone, please note. The parameters included in Configuration.h are there to make the Robo3D R1 mechanically accurate and/or more precise. That is not the same as changing parameters in your slicer to get accurate prints. You may need to relearn and/or tweak slicer settings to get back to great looking prints. Mechanical accuracy will help you in the long run but in the short term may mess with all your slicer settings since the common way to account for deficiencies in hardware setup was to adjust extrusions. Small slicer setting will now actually have an effect on your final print. You will also know that if you ask for 100 mm of filament it will actually spit out 100 mm of filament.

Ask any machinist what he would rather have, a machine tool that is mechanically accurate or software that lets him mess with every parameter to get his final output accurate on a poorly configured machine tool.

19. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Last question i have it on the autolevel R1plus config.h file i think you forgot to enable(uncomment) autobedleveling and change the settings.
    I could be wrong but shouldnt :

#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 10 // X offset: -left [of the nozzle] +right
    #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 10 // Y offset: -front [of the nozzle] +behind
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 // Z offset: -below [the nozzle] (always negative!)

be:
    #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 // X offset: -left [of the nozzle] +right
    #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 // Y offset: -front [of the nozzle] +behind
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 1.0 // Z offset: -below [the nozzle] (always negative!)

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes, I think you are correct. I will relook at it. I don't use auto-level so it might be messed up.

Now FIXED!

#240 WheresWaldo, Mar 25, 2016
    WADZOQUADZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.