1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin for the R2 - UBL Enabled

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Sep 8, 2017.

?

Would you like to see U.B.L. enabled for the R2?

1. Of course!

31 vote(s)
    93.9%
  2. Not really.

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Why are you wasting your time with this?

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is a way to manually input a probe point correction via G-code (M421). When I printed my validation mesh I found one spot that was just about 0.05 mm too high. I used M421 to adjust that single point.

2. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Finally, after many, many false starts due to the universe being against me, I finally successfully completed UBL on my R2 and here is the deprime model I just printed. It was printed using black PLA, so it's hard to see detail, but it came out better than I expected; a little stringy but good enough for government work. This is my first print on glass too. I tried bare glass without any glue or anything and it didn't work. This one is layered with some hair spray which seems to work rather well. I hope this glass bed works out for me because I've had way too many problems with PEI and Buildtak; I've given up on them.

The front right corner shows some shifting, but that was because I'm an idiot and I leaned on the printer table.

IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG

Attached Files:

supercazzola and WheresWaldo like this.
  3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Working on Marlin 1.1.7 (released 15 DEC 2017) for the R2. Just getting ready to test a few things. Lots of small bug fixes to UBL and some new features added since 1.1.6. Here is a shortened list that might affect both the new RoboMarlin 1.2.1 and the previous version of Marlin for the R2 (both based on 1.1.6):
    • #8596,#8636: Add SEGMENT_LEVELED_MOVES for MBL, Bilinear, UBL With this option Cartesian moves are broken into small segments when a mesh-based bed leveling system is enabled.
    • #8205: Fix Case Light "off" function
    • #8419: Fix Software Fan PWM
    • #8126,#8209: Add thermal runaway protection to M303
    • #8011: Fix UBL mesh boundaries with bed center 0,0
    • #8291: Fix G26 circle drawing

4. adikted2astro

Awesome. My printer is performing well; I'm extremely pleased. However, I have one slightly related question. When you modified the Marlin code, did you by any chance increase the maximum bed temperature? Just wondering because before I could only get the bed to 85 or 90 C. I'd like to be able to go higher.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There really is no way to increase the bed temp. It is set to 110°C in both mine and Robo's firmware. I never messed with the power and have always set it to use full power. The limiting factor for the Robo bed are those pogo-pins.

6. adikted2astro

Waldo, forgive my ignorance once again but how exactly did you use M421? I have several mesh points I need to edit, but I'm not sure how to do it. I would need the exact x and y coordinates of the point right? For instance, if I wanted to adjust a mesh point by 0.05mm using M421, can I just issue M421 Xxxx Yxxx Z-0.05? Or do I need to adjust it using the z-offset value? I'm confused.

I'm also confused as to how I can find the exact x and y coordinates of the points. However, I just realized if I move the extruder around the grid and issue a G29 T command, I can see where the closest mesh point is to the hotend. That may make it easier a bit.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

M421 In Jn Z-0.05 where I and J represent column and row, so no need for exact dimensions.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

supercazzola likes this.
  8. adikted2astro

That's perfect, thank you for this. I have tried it a few times but every time I did, the printer would error-out and I'd have to reset it.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Working on 1.1.8, expect some new files soon. Not sure if any of the commits beyond 1.1.7 affect the R2 but might as well be up to date.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have 1.1.8 for the R2 with UBL enabled in my GITHUB repository. It compiles properly! If you are already using 1.1.7, there really is no need to upgrade to this version as there are very few changes. I could not find anything that would really affect our printers. There is nothing in this version that improves print quality.

https://github.com/WheresWaldo/Marlin_for_R2/tree/1.1.8

supercazzola likes this.
  11. adikted2astro

I am having another problem. I had to redo UBL and now nothing works properly. After I perform UBL, I wanted to do a test print to see the mesh. But,when I issue the command, it starts printing it 10mm too high. Basically, it doesn't lift the bed off of home (G28); it just starts printing right there. I honestly can't figure out what the hell is going on. Anyone had this problem?

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Empty out your EEPROM before starting over M502 will load firmware defaults followed by an M500 to write those defaults to EEPROM. Then start the UBL process all over again.

13. adikted2astro

I've already tried that.....a few times

14. adikted2astro

I did use the new firmware from your github. So, I'm going back to the older version I was using and try again.

15. adikted2astro

Ok, so I got it working again, G26 does what it's supposed to do. But, like I said previously, I did have to go back to the previous firmware I had. I don't know exactly what setting is causing the problem. I looked at both codes side-by-side and there are some differences, but I'm not sure which one is causing the problem.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There could be bugs in the new code, that is the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge. Seems that the Marlin Devs always break at least one thing for every couple of things they fix.

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, verily :)
    And why some of my machines are still on 1.0 :)

18. adikted2astro

Well, I'm just glad I have it all fixed now. I've spent the last 8.5 hours on this printer. Changing code, dialing in the z-offset, and printing out test grids using G26. I think something might be wrong with my IR sensor. I modified values and reprinted the grid 10 times (after I got it all working anyway). Some of the values were off by quite a bit, relatively speaking (+-0.150mm). I don't know, maybe that's ok. I even modified the firmware to probe each point slower and more than once. Maybe I should try the M48 code and see if I get repeating values. But that's going to have to wait until tomorrow cuz I'm exhausted. On the bright side, my mesh is near PERFECT now.

Also, I know most of you guys probably know this, but if your printer starts doing crazy stuff like printing 10 mm off the bed, just type M112 in the printer terminal and hit enter. That's the emergency stop code, which I've been looking for for a while. The only drawback to it is it will completely reset your z-offset to default (Z0.00). But, if you know what it is you can change it back in a few seconds. M112 doesn't override the mesh thank God. Just load it up again after the reset and you are good. :)

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The IR sensor is cheaply made and not the most consistent If you do a probe repeatability test you will see that even probing the same exact spot there seems to be a lot of drift in the values. It should be enabled in my version of the firmware.

http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M048.html

20. adikted2astro

That's good to know. I wonder if I can upgrade it to a better sensor? I'll have to take it out and see what my options are.