1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

"Max Temp Bed" on LCD only 65 degrees

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by William, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William

William New Member

My print stopped and the LCD (Full Graphic Smart Controller) turned white. I recirced the printer power, still white LCD. Turned off the printer and connected with the computer and the LCD says MAX TEMP BED, but I was only printing at 65 degrees. Something went bad on the arduino? Assuming I get this going, I guess there is no way to pick up where I left off, right? Thank for any help.

Other issue: I ordered PLA spool from Robo about 2 weeks ago. They charged my credit card immediately, but no email confirmation, nothing. I've written emails with no response and of course there is no phone number listed. I updated my Slic3r and lost all settings, tried to look up settings video and was denied. What is going on? You can't even find default settings and they are going to sell this in Costco = nightmare for users, nightmare for them.

One last thing. Get the E3d v6, it never clogs.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Wow a bit of random tangents huh

The max temp might have been a short in the thermistor that read as high. Or something. You'd have to look at the temp curve.

What firmware are you running?

3. William

William New Member

Tangents are my specialty. You haven't noticed before? I'm running 3-14-14. I've had some long prints and this has never happened; I was only a few hours in to it. Where's the temp curve. I didn't have my laptop connected and LCD was not functional.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you on a beta printer?
    Repetier and cura have temp curves. I think so does matter control.

5. William

William New Member

Yes. I'm using Slic3r through Repetier. Can reslice and see this?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you print from repetier you'll be able to see the temp chart.

7. William

William New Member

So, try again with the computer attached, not using the SD card (that failed in the past hence the SD card Controller)? There's nothing I can look for or test instead of repeating and risking the other issue with failed prints from the computer?

8. William

William New Member

It seems like there must be an issue with the Arduino board or power supplying the LCD from the Arduino board, no?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well a max temp error most likely isn't arduino related unless:

The heater circuit got stuck open. Unlikely but I suppose it could happen. Generally your whole board would freeze up if this happened. I've never seen this be the case so I'm ignoring it.

Firmware: the max bed temp was somehow set to 65. Unlikely, especially on the 3-14 firmware which is max of 115 if i recall correctly.

Chances are good it's a short circuit in the thermistor. Movement might cause a stray wire to jump the circuit, causing a low resistance reading, and a high temp value. This will trip the max temp alert.

You can try just maintaining the temp in repetier and watching the temp graph. But if it's movement related you won't be able to reproduce the issue.

10. William

William New Member

You always start with the correct answer and somehow I ignore it and then it comes back around. Thanks!! Any ideas about contacting them to get my PLA or try and cancel the order and order it from someone else? Thanks again!
    IMAG0053(1).jpg

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What color? I can nag him about it but if they don't have it in stock there's not much they can do. You can also message me your last name and the email the order was placed on

12. William

William New Member

OK I sent an email to your skype name @gmail The last question: How hard would it be restart where it was. I couldn't know the exact layer it was on.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Darn near impossible. Let's just go with 'hard'.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I heard some MIT students did it with lasers.

3 people like this.
  15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you knew what layer you could cut the model and print from there on 'up' (I have done this once) but if not, you would just be guessing :)

16. William

William New Member

That's a good idea, Mark. I've got support material that might complicate it. I could see what it looks like and see if the supports line up.

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Or use repetier's code editing to cut out the layers you don't want.

18. William

William New Member

Yeah, I haven't done G-code. That would force me to stretch my mental abilities and you should know that I'm maxed-out. I'll look at and see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

G-code is very basic. It's just sending positions.

And in repetier when you select sections of code it highlights the area in the 3d model. very helpful at learning it.

20. William

William New Member

So, you're saying if I can figure it out, I'm MIT material? It does sound good that they give visual feedback. Thanks.

AJinFLA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.