1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Maximum Bed and Extruder Temps for R1?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adepino, Aug 2, 2015.

1. adepino

adepino Member

Hey, who knows the maximum Bed and Extruder temps for the R1, how can I modify this, and if possible, what is it safe to modify to? Im printing ABS and its not sticking to the bed. Ive lowered the Z value from -.9 to -.75 and it looks like its squishing nicely but it just pops up after a few passes...Also Im using a sheet of Kapton tape which works amazingly well for PLA, I normally have to pry those off the bed when they're done.

#1 adepino, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure what the default max temp is in the current firmware, but at one point it was around 240c.
    With the all metal hotend you can safely go much higher. I would not advise going much above 260-270c without swapping the thermistor for a thermocouple, but very few materials need you to go that hot. Download the firmware. Edit CONFIGURATION.H:

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 240 //robo
    #define BED_MAXTEMP 85

Those are the two lines to change. the fist one is the extruder limit and the other one the heated bed. If you have the ribbon cable to the bed then 115 is OK, and the extruder I would set to 275 or close.

The firmware and instructions for reloading it once you edit it are here:

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

Mike Kelly likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I have the R1 with the Hexagon all metal extruder and robo is advertising on the product page that it can go up to 290C. I'm surprised that the firmware doesn't have that as the max setting by default. I know ABS needs more heat from the bed than PLA, but I haven't had a chance to use it. I've gone to 70C with PLA a couple times. My printer also didn't come with the cork pad and robo sent me one with foil tape that seems to be getting it up to temp easier and keeping the temp nice and even.

4. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I believe with the current firmware the max bed temperature is either 99 or 100. I set mine at 99 all the time without a problem.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They raised the max temps in v3 of the firmware to 290 on the nozzle and 110 on the bed.

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

If you have a printer from around fall of 2014, then there's a chance running above 85C might cause electrical issues. Only run above 85C if you have a ribbon cable for the Y axis

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I think I have my temps set to 310°C and 115°C. This way It will survive any fluctuation in temperatures if I need to go to 300°C of if I have to take the bed to 110°C without experiences the Thermal runaway or Heating failed messages.