1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Models with Holes on Purpose

Discussion in 'Software' started by cosber, Feb 1, 2015.

1. cosber

cosber Active Member

I'm trying to print an object that has a hole but it's showing as a mess in Simplify3D.
    Fixing it of course plugs the hole. I'm using Meshmixer to edit the part and there is no manual for the new version or any help that tells me anything. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Uh, not sure I get what you are after. I have printed models with voids before. Unless it needs to put support in there I can't imagine that is a problem. DEFINITELY hit their support folks.

3. cosber

cosber Active Member

I have a model of Gort from Day the earth stood still. I want to print the head with an opening under the visor where the laser beam shoots out and burns up the fine citizens of Earth. Using Meshmixer, I cut out a horizontal hole. The head is hollow. The model in Simplify shows the head messed up on the layers where the hole is. While I haven't looked at it in any other software, from my experience comparing other models in different software, it would look the same in them. I've attached the stl in case you want to look at it.

Attached Files:

4. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at your stl but run it through Netfabb Basic to fix any errors.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you run any of the repair tools in Simplify?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You have an open surface. You'd need a certain wall thickness to achieve what you're trying to do.

3 people like this.
  7. cosber

cosber Active Member

Sorry, been sick with a cold and haven't turned on the computer.
    I used the Online NetFabb repair service to fix the original model. When I ran the head through, it closed the cutout.

With two likes on your post, I guess your suggestion has a consensus! So by wall thickness, does that mean more shells?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You need it to be a solid model. What you have there is a surface model, as in it has 0 thickness.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should also try the repair tools built right into Simplify :)
    Since you have it...

In the end, @Mike Kelly has nailed it I suspect. 2D vs. 3D

10. cosber

cosber Active Member

Wow, I'm going to have to do some research on this one. Another new term to boggle my mind. The original model was a lightwave file. I didn't know there was such a thing as "surface model". Care to push me in the right direction?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's a solidworks term, not sure how it applies to other software. Basically a model is comprised of closed surface bodies, aka a solid.

When your surfaces aren't closed off you have a hollow body, which is not a solid and can't be interpreted by a slicer because it has 0 thickness.

I've uploaded 2 examples of a solid body vs a surface body

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  12. cosber

cosber Active Member

To the naked eye, they look identical to me. How do you know one is a solid or a surface? They both gave the big exclamation point in Netfabb.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Examine it more closely. The surface has 0 thickness

14. cosber

cosber Active Member

Duh, I think I had loaded the same one twice. I easily see the difference. I don't know if this is the same, I made the head solid in Meshmixer then hollowed it out. It looks like your example and looks good in Simplify. Is that all there is to it? Only thing, it filled in the hole so I have to learn how to cut it out again.