1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved More ABS Printing Problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Clint Burbridge, Mar 24, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Cool, means you have the leveling sorted :)

2. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Can you give advice on the viscosity of the slurry? Is it better to be thinner, like milk or thicker like, say, motor oil?

3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

One cheat method for ABS slurry is to print a cube or cylinder as best as possible with typical adhesion tricks.

Then when you want to make something with ABS you just pour a little acetone on the bed and smear it around with your block of ABS. This will leave a nice layers behind.

Beware the fumes.

Mike Kelly and Virgil like this.
  4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Fumes "should be" innocuous though strong.

Point of order. Nothing will glue down stuff that wants to warp. If your problems are that great, you have other problems. If its beyond hairspray and gluestick. Examine your process and environment

5. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Oh, I like this idea. I've had great prints in PLA and I would like to do the occasional ABS print. As expected I had the adhesion issues. Hairspray helped but slurry gave the best results so far. I had dissolved a bad print in acetone and 'painted' it on with a cheap brush. Hence my question about viscosity. I have not tried the glue stick yet, though. And I'm still playing around with bed and extruder temps.

6. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Fans and drafts. Eliminate fans ans drafts

7. Virgil

Virgil New Member

extru
    Drafts should not be a big problem where my printer is located. I am still playing with the fan settings as well. At the moment I have them off for the first several layers - should I have them off all together?

8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Problem solved... Yes. Your model cooling fans will ruin an abs print in seconds. Drafts do not have to be much either. Abs requires an enclosure or a 150 degree draft free room

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've used all kinds. Milky is kinda nice because it leaves a thin coating that tends to not distort the color as much, but a thicker consistency, like yogurt, is a bit better at getting a nice layer of plastic for it to bond to.

It's not really an exact science though.

Having tape or kapton tape on the bed gives the slurry something to stick to and you get an insanely strong bond.

10. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Damn ABS is all I have to say. But slurry does work well. Just make one is whatever color you plan on printing in

11. Stephen Capistron

Or get some natural ABS and use that for them all.

12. Stephen Capistron

And now that I think of it, some have got some nice artistic effects by mixing colors.

I'm done spamming now.

13. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Hey there is a thought that I didn't think of. I knew you were here for a reason.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've found that ABS slurry tends to fade the color a bit. Using natural is an interesting idea though.

15. Virgil

Virgil New Member

In my experimenting last weekend I discovered the purple glue stick works about as well as slurry and is *much* easier to clean up. I tweaked hot end and bed temps and got more improvement. Still not done with those, yet. And I think I should tweek my z offset a bit. But my ABS adventures will have to wait a while. I have some other things I really need to get printed, so back to PLA for a bit. Depending on what my 'suprise' filament from Makergeeks is, of course. :) While not perfect yet, I am getting decent prints from ABS.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

When i experimented with it this was pretty much the same thing I found. If you really need a corner to stay down mouse ears are a bigger help. I only did this as an experiment anyway, I just don't use ABS any longer. We did a few large projects with it early on, but we got better ;)

17. Virgil

Virgil New Member

I started just to find out if I could do it. Part of the learning process. I made a water wheel for my grand daughter last weekend. The wheel itself did OK. Bridges were a bit of a pfoblem, but not too bad. The stands had a bit of a curl but are otherwise very functional. The only time I might choose ABS over PLA would be for something like this - that will be wet more than dry. Or if I need the extra toughness. I'm pretty much declaring victory.