1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

More RoBo3d Antics.......

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by syphion2004, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

OK, i finally got my printer back after the board went down . i have it connected ready run and she sounds great . bout to have the smell of melting filament in the air. cant wait. i load in the calibration block and off we go. that smell the blue lights the hum from the printer. finally i can start printing things ... well damn it only prints about 1/3 of the block and it jams so gotta fix that . try it again and same result . hmm. filament moves freely , if i turn the gear it extrudes . hot in is at 210 like Jerry told me but still cant get past the 1/3 mark.

as i sit here and type this it gets to the 1/3 mark and nothing so i stopped it and it continues to just ooze blue filament but want print it. so my question to whom ever is..... WHATS WRONG WITH IN NOW.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, when it stops printing, what is it doing? Is it moving, but not extruding or is it really stopped?
    What software is driving it?
    What does the status window show for commands sent to the printer?

3. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

it is still working on the box .just no filament . im using matter . everything seems normal it just not able to print the box but i did get it to print another item that takes the same amount of time with no problem . not sure whats going on i do know i have the new "experimental" head lol

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, when you open the extruder feed after this happens does the filament look like the hobbed bolt ate a chunk out of it?

5. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

No it actually just looks like it started to melt . Really don't need to do anything to fix it just when the gear is able to be turned by hand it will feed .

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure your hobbed bolt is able to spin free. The lock nut/washer combo should keep it free to spin, not tightened up against the extruder frame.

If that doesn't help then there may be an issue with the driver motor or connections to the RAMPS.

7. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

I did notice that u can't spin it free hand if it's working or if u pause a print . When it is printing the gear will turn back every now and again I'm not sure if it should but it does . Meaning as it works and pulls the filiment it will rotate the opposite way just for a second I'm not sure if this is causing the problem

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All of that is normal, when the motor is powered on you will not be able to manually move the gears.
    The 'pull-back' is called retraction and is used to avoid stringing all over the print.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Frankly from what you have posted so far it sounds like perhaps communication is dropping with the printer while printing.
    MatterControl should have a way to see what commands are being sent to the printer (a status window)--sorry I don't use Matter Control so I am not terribly familiar with it. What does the status window show for commands sent to the printer at the point where it is 'stalling'?

10. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

Well since we have that out if the way . I'm not to sure what else is going on then . It just stops pulling the filiment . Jerry mentioned the temp on the new head but doesn't seem to help really . Any better ideas ?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Is the hobb section of the hobbed bolt full of 'debris'?

The stock hobbed bolt is less than optimal. Many have upgraded (there is at least one thread dedicated to that).

12. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Can you try a simple test cube? It could be the model your printing and perhaps it didn't slice correctly. Try a simple cube and see if that works. In fact, go to thingiverse and download one of the calibration cube to see if they print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

13. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

This is literally the first prints I have done on it . I would think that while they are testing them that they would notice this . If the printer had been running a few months or so I would completely understand . And upgrading a just out of the box machine is crazy . I want to see what she can do before I dump more money in it . But to a

14. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

U have done that but seems like it just won't print anything after about 2 minutes

15. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Do you have a fan on the ramps board?

Did you try a different test print that you did not make and that you've downloaded from a source that is known for good prints?

How long does matter Control report that the print will take?

Some if the things to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

16. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

Yes the board has the fan going . I tried a few different prints but same issue and the cube I use is from matter

17. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

Matter says about 6 min

18. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

well after a ton of trial and error i have found that im no closer to fixing this than i was yesterday. i really think the gear that pulls filament inst doing its job. it will extract it fine but even at times when i try to manually turn it to pull filament with wont.

19. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

It really does sound like the hobbed bolt is clogging. A grooved hobbed bolt from ebay will be $5-12 very well spent. You can also increase the filament tension spring either by adding more washers or by replacing the springs with beefier ones. You may also want to decrease the retraction acceleration, speed, distance, and when retraction occurs. These are all things I've had to do to stop the hobbed bolt clogging and prints failing. Oh, and also make sure you build/print a spool holder that uses bearings so the hobbed bolt isn't pulling against any unnecessary resistance, also something I had to do.

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Also check that the springs are both the same it has been told to me that in some case two different springs were installed on a single printer and one being significantly weaker than the other so tightening them both down does not achieve the full desired affect. In the printer I was talking about one spring was shiny sliver and the other was dull and dark gray or black.

Not sure why they would ever do that but it may be an ongoing QA issue...not sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.