1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

More RoBo3d Antics.......

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by syphion2004, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Try this:
    Heat your extruder to 220 or close to it.

Take a bobby pin and heat it up till it's red hot at the tip with a lighter. Then shove it into the filament hole and see if anything is in there. You'll feel it jab into any filament if it's there. Hold a second to cool, then pull it out. Repeat the process until there is no more coming out. You need a red hot tip to be able to accomplish this so don't think you can stick that tip I'm there and be able to get any results. Red hot works best. You have a second to get it in there so prepare to be close to the hole when heating.

If it's in there you'll see this:
    [​IMG]

Most likely this is your problem it's just you need to get at the residual filament stick in the extruder hole that is preventing any filament to continue flowing and your blaming the Hobbed bolt.

The other thing to do is to get a guitar string, high E, at 0.09 or whatever is the smallest size. You could get an .008 too. Once the temp is at 220, stick the string through the extruder hole all the way down and see if and filament comes out.

Good luck.

2. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

ok heres and update. just received my new hobble bolt from Jerry at robo3d, installed and running. well that didn't fix it, i then took it apart and ran a safety pin down the shaft and made sure it was clear. it was. after cleaning all the filament dust and double checking springs and the hobble bolt again , i put it back together and guess what........ still not working. actually less now than it was with the other bolt. what to do next ?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, maybe a video? I am not clear on exactly what it is (not) doing at the moment...
    Is it getting eaten by the hobb and not feeding? Is it clogging in the hotend and not feeding?
    Or is it something else...

4. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

well tried to upload a video but it wouldnt for some reason. i have tried to explain this the best i can and either i cant explain it or something else.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try explaining exactly what is happening when you turn it on and try to print.
    What is the filament and extruder doing (or not doing that you think it should)?

I reread the thread and this is what I see:

>it jams so gotta fix that<
    What is jamming? The exrtruder, the filament?

>still not working<
    ?

>still working on the box .just no filament<
    OK, this sounds like it is trying print (i.e. the motor and gear are turning, but the filament is not feeding)*.

>the gear that pulls filament inst doing its job<
    See above.

If that is the case (my last guess) when you open the extruder is the filament bunched up under the hobbed bolt?
    Is the filament notched out by the hobbed section (eaten away)?
    It is jammed in the extruder (trying to melt) but not feeding?

Lastly, what kind of filament are you using (ABS/PLA/Nylon/what?)
    Get those answers and I think I may already have an idea *(depend on your answers) for a simple enough fix. Just need to nail down what is happening.

6. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

so to answer your questions
    it seems to be jamming. (when i print a calibration cube it will print about 1/3 of it and then will stop pushing filament out of the hot end. the filament isn't broken just the hob bolt is not able to push it anymore). i be leave it is getting stuck in the ext ruder somehow when i stop the printer from printing i can pull the filament out and cut it , feed it back in and it acts fine. i think that answered most of the questions. im useing the filament that was sent with the printer. the same printer i havent been able to use since ive gotten it.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, assuming this is PLA (you did not answer that one) do the following.

1) Get the extruder up to print temperature (200 or so)
    2) Pull out any filament in there.
    3) Get a small container of vegetable oil (preferably canola, but any pure vegetable oil will do)
    4) Cut some small segments of filament (6-8 inches long)
    5) dip the end of one of the segments in the oil and manually push it through the hot end (extrude an inch or so)
    6) remove it and get one un-oiled and push it through an inch or so

repeat #5 and #6 several times.

Now reassemble it and try a test print.

What this does is season the extruder. PLA is a material that can gum up the extruder in some circumstances (not a bad thing, just a thing) and the oil puts a finish layer on the inside of the extruder that helps keep things going.

2 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I use a lot of PLA or PLA variants and I now have a little box with a sponge in it that my filament passes through on the way to the extruder. It has some oil on it (add a few drops once a week or so) and it continuously keeps mine seasoned. You may find that after a number of prints you need to re-season it (I just went with the oiler). Not a single jam since.

9. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

im just aggravated with this thing. i havent used it since ive gotten it . wish they would send me a new one

2 people like this.
  10. Peter Krska

Try this;
    Move the extruder to the middle of the bed. Move it up 20 or 40 or so that it has clearance to the bed. Now extrude some filament. Does it come out in a nice stream? Make sure your temp is at 185-190. If it's too hot the filament will curl up. If so, lower the temp till the filament is coming out relatively straight. Experiment.

If it's successfully coming out, try that temp. If it jams, the you have excess filament possibly stuck in the hole.

Are using a thingiverse test cube? Try the 20mm for a longer print.

Watch the wheel and see if it's moving or not when a jam happens. Also look at the software window looking at the current temp of the extruder.
    If the extruder temp is going down, then manually turn it on using the PLA button.

Then take the filament holder screws off and look to see if you can push the filament thru manually.

Make sure your extruder temp is at the 185-190 mark when pushing the filament thru, otherwise it will be impossible.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It would likely have the same issue. If you are printing the same materials :)
    Seasoning is quick and easy.

12. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

this is the first sets of prints i have tried. i figured it would have been tested before i got it. ill try the seasoning thing

2 people like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would be nice. I do not know to what extent they test them.
    Frankly they could season them if they are going to heat them up and test print.

Lots of things they could do. I do know that I got tired of the PLA jamming on me :) I had printed a lot with ABS, and even got some PLA prints W/O trouble before it started jamming up. This fixed it. Yours might have a more fundamental problem, but if it really is just a nozzle jamming, this should fix it.

14. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

ok well i pulled it g in it apart. and was trying to clean out the extruder . seemd like it has something stuck in it. it wont allow me to push filament .

15. Peter Krska

Do the bobby pin method, heating it till it's red hot then shove it into the hole. Wait and then pull it out. Push it in and see if you can feel it jab into the excess filament. Use the force Luke.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

Yeah man I have tried it . I disconnected everything and tried that method then I tried to crank up the heat on see if I could push seasoned filament but no go . image.jpg

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With it hot, can you tug that old filament out with a pair of pliers?
    If that doesn't help the approach @Peter Krska suggested is the best bet.

18. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

It came out and a lot of other stuff as well just not it seems like nothing will extrude from it .

19. Peter Krska

There is a ledge in the extruder hole. You need to play around till you feel it drop down. It's tricky but manageable.

20. syphion2004

syphion2004 Member

I have 6 kids I can find the spot lol . By pushing the filament in by hand on 210 it wouldn't budge . It should be melting that stuff down and coming out but it's not .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.