1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Multi color prints getting back to exact paused location

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by znet3d, Jun 16, 2016.

1. znet3d

znet3d New Member

So I have been trying out printing with multi color. I am using MC, I pause the printer at a desired layer, move the extruder up about 30mm, switch the filament, move extruder down the same amount and resume... For most part this has been working great. I go get a little bump where the hotend pauses and resumes, but nothing that damages the print over all. My problem is when I move the hotend up it locks into place so its not to bad to switch the filament, lately I am not sure why, I think its when I release the filament the hot end releases and I can easily shift it, This makes it very hard for me to line it back up to its paused location. Does anyone have a good way to get it back to its exact paused location? Ideally I would love to put something in the pause/resume gcode so that it doesn't just sit there melting my print before I move it up. More importantly getting it back to where it needs to resume printing, I have ruined many attempts cuz I was just off a hair on getting it back to its location. Thank you.

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Any given LCD controller has a "Change Filament" command in it when it's installed and enabled on a 3d printer. Back when my Robo printer worked it would pause the print after finishing whatever it was working on when I told it to Change Filament, raise up slightly, move away from the print and make an irritating buzzing noise until I finished changing the filament and clicked the knob to tell it to Continue Printing.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Pretty sure the full graphics one has this on the menu.

Geof likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I know for a fact that the upcoming version of Marlin has done some work on the CHange Filament code and it is supposed to be better. We just need them to release it.