1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved My board overheated and piece dropped out.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by hornfly, Jan 3, 2020.

1. hornfly

hornfly New Member

When I turned the printer on and started to preheat for a print, I heard a piece fall from inside. I opened the case up, and saw this piece loose. It comes from the spot shown in the photo. I tried to solder the piece back on thinking the connection may have just come loose. When powering it on to print again, it got really hot and came loose again. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

IMG_0571.jpg

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I assume a bad mosfet- best bet to start is replacing the ramps board.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Shorted. That is the MOSFET (essentially a power transistor) that controls current to the bed heater.
    It is either dead itself or the circuit that drives it is dead. Common RAMPS issue.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  5. hornfly

hornfly New Member

I ended up getting a MOSFET and 4 new ramps boards (they came in a pack). I replaced them all and now I have 2 new problems haha

First, the z axis has a couple issues. When make it go up, it start the first 1mm fine and then stops and makes buzz sound. The z axis also doesn't respond to going down.

Second, I go to preheat the bed and nothing happens.The extruder preheats fine, but the bed doesn't change temp.

Any help is very much welcome. Thanks!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The buzz when not moving means the stepper driver is not supplying enough current. Replace the Z stepper driver or tune it to drive more current.

Z not going down is likely one of the Z home switches is open or the wiring to it is open OR the RAMPS is bad.

The heater is bad or the RAMPS is bad :) The theme here is that the RAMPS boards are cheap and built cheap. I have gone through as many as 3 news ones to get one that worked. Make sure your wiring is correct and power is correct then suspect the RAMPS. Measure the heater output pins and see if you are getting 12v when the software is calling for the bed to heat. If you are then the heater is bad and if not then the RAMPS/Q3 is bad.