1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My Fixes, Tips & Tricks for your Robo3D Printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Barnacules, Dec 30, 2013.

?

Did you find this thread helpful?

1. Yes

96.4%
  2. No

3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

Hello Fellow Robo 3D Owners,

I just created a video showing all of my modifications I have made to my Robo 3D printer to make it much more reliable and improve the print quality dramatically. I hope these modifications that I have made are useful to the community and serve as a good baseline to get your printer working like a champ. I'm shocked at just how well the printer is working now that I've made these changes!

Thanks,
    Jerry (aka. Barnacules)
    http://barnnerd.com

6 people like this.
  2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

There is a lot of play in your gears, There is pretty much none in mine, Somethings wrong some where :/

3. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

Thank you for noticing that, I was not sure if this was the acceptable tolerance or not. I will loosen up the bolts on the motor and move it in tighter now and get it to fit really tight! You should have seen the play between the gear and the nut on the large cog before I added the kapton tape.

4. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Yeah, I'm trying to upload a video now showing mine, but I can't even move the big gear with out moving the smaller one.

5. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

Sweet! Post the link here when your done (or create a new thread and link it here). I would love to see your video, I'm hoping we can get one big thread going with everyone's hacks, fixes, etc to get this thing running perfectly. One of the biggest improvements is putting in the Z-supports, you can increase the print speed quite a bit with them in place and still get a good outcome.

6. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Here's the vid, as you can see there's really no play between the gears.

7. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

I did see a little play between the nut and the gear though, you should try my tape wrapping technique. I think that coupled with how tight your gears are meshed your extrusion would be dead on accurate!

8. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

I also just watched your video on the slider problem, did you find a fix for it?

9. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

10. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

How do I test to see if I need this fix? It seems like the PLA thickness on the first layer looks consistent from end to end on the Y-axis but I haven't printed anything huge yet.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

People have issues holding 100C on the build platform. I've fixed it by swapping out the polyfuse with a higher amp rated one. If you tried running yours at 100C for a few hours chances are you'll see it shutting off. This is really an issue with the lack of circulation (plus you have a big heater not too high above the board), so just throwing a fan in is the Q&D solution.

Second, HarrisonV isn't affiliated with printersolid.com :) that's Matt.

Third you should get a dial indicator for bed leveling. You'll see the error much more clearly with it.

12. Barnacules

Barnacules New Member

I have never tried to push the bed beyond 70C so that is probably why I haven't seen the problem. I'll add a cooling fan though just in-case I ever need to :p I thought Harrison and Matt worked together? And where can I get a dial indicator? Thanks for the info!

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

With the fan I have run mine as high as 100C without any problems (other than it takes a while to get to 100C) :)

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

15. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I'm currently working on a different dial indicator holder for the Robo 3D, but I'm not happy with it yet. There's one currently on thingiverse that works but it always faces to the side so it makes it kind of hard to read. My current design has it mounting on the rails around the extruder using magnets to hold on but it's currently very very tight. Need to redesign it to loosen some of the constraints so it glides better.

16. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

Nice to see you around the forum jerry.

2 people like this.
  17. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Love the video. Thanks for sharing. Please keep the videos coming. They help more than you might think.

Nice to see that this printer keeps evolving. But since I don't have mine yet, I wonder when the Robo team will start incorporating them into the final product since the upgrades seem to make sense.

Like the stabilizer you incorporated for the vertical rods. Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

funny how this printer is supposed to fully assembled and calibrated out of the box yet people like me, barnacles and others have to make changes so it will print properly.

there's quite a bit of info in the forum regarding changes done to the robo most of which have been discussed already in the forums and some that you don't show in your video but it is a nice video.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Cambo a cheap design isn't always the best design, but some of us are fine with a cheap design.

2 people like this.
  20. Lucas

Lucas New Member

How did you end up wiring the E3D to the power supply? How did you do the LEDs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.