1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My heat bed wont stop heating after recall?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kirk, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirk

Kirk Member

I just got my heat bed back from having to send it back to robo for there wiring replacement recall and now my heat bed wont stop heating up until the board cuts out and kills power to the manual operating features. and I haven't been able to manual feed since the first time that happened.

Anybody else had a similar problem? any ideas? for the heat bed connector to the board the green is wired to the black and the white is wired to the red, is this right? I wired it according to the pictures I took before sending it back so it should be right?

2 people like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What is the thermistor for bed reading while this happens?

3. Kirk

Kirk Member

I'm not sure.. Where is it located and I will check it

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, when you are heating the bed what temperature does the software you are using say the bed is ?

That is what the thermistor reads :)

Does it track (get hotter) look normal?

5. Kirk

Kirk Member

I don't even have to start the bed... When I connect to the printer it is set at 0 and the actual temp just starts rising.. Like its hardwired on

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is a problem :)

Check the wiring. When I got my bed back they crossed some of the wires (one each of the bed heater and thermistor wires were swapped on the other side of their joint). Trace them. The small wires are the ones for the thermistor and the red/black large ones are for the heater. If they are not swapped/crossed make sure you landed them correctly on the RAMPS board (the heater wires go to the large edge connector, the thermistor lands on a small connector towards the center of the board).

7. Kirk

Kirk Member

8. Kirk

Kirk Member

This is how they are connected... The same way they were before I sent it out.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What does the wiring look like under the bed? That is where mine were crossed (not that yours are, but trace it back).
    If they are correct then potentially you have a bad RAMPS board. (D8 looks correct and while I can't see the thermistor connector clearly, however it looks like it is in the right spot)

[You should have already initiated a support request (given that it may take a few days for response) and you should have the data they will need to address it.]

10. Kirk

Kirk Member

My bed is wired correctly :-\

11. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Wow thats strange assuming that your getting an accurate reading on the software showing it getting to temp and continuing past? The software/adrino should be cutting the power to the heating element once it reads the temperature off the thermistor is at the requested level.

How long did your bed take to come back, Im at 2½ weeks or so, not that I was expecting super fast turn times. Just glad I have my aluminum replacement up and running in the mean time.

12. Kirk

Kirk Member

Yeah I don't even turn the bed on and the temp rises by its self and continues up on its own.. ..?

Mine turnaround was about 2 1/2 weeks so you should be hearing from them soon

13. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Hmmm it really sounds like the control board is messing up. Perhaps a firmware upgrade/reset? If you dont have the bed turned on no power should be going to the wires at all. Im no expert on reflashing the firmware but that sounds like what I'd try.... I would however ask the "other" Mike 1st...he is a little more experienced at troubleshooting these kind of things.

14. Kirk

Kirk Member

I found out tonight that all I have to do is turn the printer on and the bed starts to heat up..... I don't even need to be connected .....and my extruder feed doesn't work now either .....I took the board off and nothing looks fried from what I could see:-\... Not sure what to think???

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like your MOSFET failed open

16. Kirk

Kirk Member

Would that prevent the extruder from running as well?

17. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Does the bed actually Physically get hot, or is it just the temp on the software that is rising?

18. Kirk

Kirk Member

It physically get hot

19. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Yea sounds like your board is shot..

20. Kirk

Kirk Member

That's what what I was thinking..... But hoping not.... I just opened a cast with robo today... Hopefully that goes well....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.