1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Need new hotend.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RD Ghost, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

Robo is sold out of their hotend is this the same Rep Rap Hexagon?

I can't print a any new parts so I need one that will fit without modifying the printer.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That is the same. What is the issue with the one you have? Might only need a new nozzle if your jammed and don't can't get it cleared out.

3. danzca6

And let me take that back for a moment. Do you have the R1+? If so, then I believe you will have a cartridge style thermistor. The one on amazon does not. That's not a deal breaker, but it takes a bit more care to assemble then just using the cartridge. You might still be able to use your existing heat block and continue to use the cartridge style. Just wanted you to be aware of that. Also, either way you go for thermistor type it is the same in the firmware. So no change needed there.

4. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

It's clogged 3 three times in the last week I could never get the nozzle off and the last thing is the thermostat wires have broken off.

5. danzca6

ouch...yeah the amazon one is more expensive, but might be the way to go. At least you will have some spare parts. To prevent clogging when printing in PLA, make sure you season the nozzle well and add an oiler to keep the PLA from gumming up inside the hotend. Knock on wood, haven't had to deal with a clog yet.

Now if your printer is still under warranty, you might want to call Robo and see what they can do for you. They might have some hotends in reserve that they can give you or offer a discount. Worth asking at least.

6. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

Warranty over this will be my 4 thing I have had to replace but Robo is very good with replacements.

7. danzca6

Might still be worth a call. They may still offer a discount or have stock on hand that isn't on the parts site.

8. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

I did its out of stock I asked for a ETA waiting for a reply. I have looked for the last mouth or so on the site I wanted to get a back up hotend but it is always out of stock.

9. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

Why not just replace it with the E3D V6?

10. danzca6

He would need some printed parts to make that transition, but doable. If you need them printed I can help you out. Just send me a PM.

11. danzca6

And if you do go the V6 route, don't buy it off of Amazon. Go to a reputable certified supplier like @Printed Solid at printedsolid.com.

12. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

Do you also have to run new wiring for that hotend?

13. danzca6

You don't have to, but not hard to do. You will need to run new wiring for the thermistor either with a new Hex or V6 since the wire is broke. If it wasn't, you could reuse the cartridge thermistor and heat cartridge from the Hex. You would need a new quick release plate that is just a bit thicker for the slot the hotend slides into since the V6 has a bigger mounting groove. Tape works for a temporary solution as well if needed. You will also need a new parts cooling fan mount. There are several of those options out there. The V6 thermistor does require you to update the firmware to use type 5. Just so you know what level of effort you will need to go through on top of assembly of the hotend itself.

14. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

Ok I will just get the part from Robo and start printing parts for the E3D V6 so next time I will just upgrade.
    Thanks.

15. danzca6

Fair enough. Let us know if you need anymore help with the new Hex install. If you need help finding any of the STLs for printing the V6 parts later on, let me know. They are all on Thingiverse, but I have them bookmarked. :)

16. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

Thank you I would love that there are so many variants of mounts for that hotend on Thingiverse.

17. danzca6

18. RD Ghost

RD Ghost Member

E3D V6 Hot End Kit is on the way they are sending me the quick release plat.

19. danzca6

Who is sending you a qr plate? May need to see a pic when that comes in.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.