1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New 3D R1 user with some questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ozzie Alarcon, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

My 3D R1 gets delivered tomorrow and I have a few questions.

1 - Some people say PLA and ABS does or doesn't need a heated bed. Which way is it?

2 - Apparently some people use either Elmer's glue sticks or hairspray on the bed. Other people say to just use blue painter's tape. When should I use which bed material for what type of filament being used?

2. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

You really need to figure out by trial and error. The main problem is everyone's conditions are different. For me glue works perfectly and hair spray does not for PLA. But I live in a hot and dry climate (Texas) if you were way up north or in a humid area results will be different from mine

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PLA does not require a heated bed, but it can help with adhesion at low temps. ABS requires a heated bed (and much higher temps) as well as minimal air movement around the printer. Ideally you would want to use a heated chamber rather than an open bay.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

I personally use a good layer of glue stick and a single good spray of a hairspray that has cronates (currently Salon Selectives all day) for PLA with a bed temp of ~65c. I use an ABS slurry (ABS melted into acetone) for my ABS with bed temp around 95. But as stated previously, YMMV. Seems everyone finds what works for them, and different people have differing levels of success with different solutions.

BP Tape did nothing for me, I cleaned it with acetone, I roughed it up with sandpaper, didn't work at all, for some people it apparently works great.

6. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I print with PLA and I use blue painter's tape followed by a quick layer with my glue stick. this method has worked for me quite nicely.

7. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

For PLA I just print strait to the bed with glue. Take is such a pain :p

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

PLA sticks a little easier to warm glass, like 40-50C is all you really need. It also helps for part removal since when the glass cools the part will contract at a different rate weakening it's bond.

I use hairspray 99% of the time. It works great and I see no reason to change. For tricky filaments I'll throw on some blue painters tape, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, and a coating of hairspray.

Only time I use gluesticks is for Nylon.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

PLA and ABS gets hairspray on the bed. PLA bed 50°C and ABS bed 90°C. PETG gets clean bed, and 95°C bed temperature. Like Mike the only thing I use a glue stick for is Nylon and a bed at 45°C.

10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Painter's tape to protect the glass and AquaNet hairspray for me.

I haven't some UHU sticks for Nylon/Bridge but haven't gotten around to printing that yet.

PET+ is Painter's Tape to protect the glass only (after my first glass bed came up with a PET+ object as it cooled off), no adhesives necessary.

I've got some PEI coming in this evening that I'll post a thread about installation/etc. at some point as well.