1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New E3d hotend-not a geek -need some help

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by asignco, Aug 4, 2014.

1. asignco

asignco New Member

after printing for about a year (ABS/PLA model)- trying new filaments, I decided to purchase a E3d hotend - sounded like it might solve some issues. installed as per video, but wiring from original hotend didn't look like new wires. I had asked ROBO 3d to confirm original wires, didn't get a response so i did this - thermister (thin wires) to old (thin) black and brown, heater to yellow and black. connected to repetier host and hotend heated up so figured i had it correct. assembled machine -tested with repetier, but it gave an error- temp to high, extruder shut off. fix errors, then M999 to reset. So I tried to upload new marliin, had not done that since purchase and that created an error. Notice red light at arduino no longer lights if that means anything, but repetier does connect, just nothing happens. WHAT DID I DO? If you still need info, I'll try to answer best I can. Need clear instructions please
    - Thanks for any help - Mark

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

A high temp error usually also shows a 300+ degree temperature in the hot end. Which typically means one of your thermistor wires is shorted together.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Roger that, those are delicate and easy to mess up. If you can't sort the one you have I think @Printed Solid now has the new ones that are not so delicate (they are embedded in a metal case that you can thread into the hotend) and have normal wires attached out to a connector. Message him and see.

4. asignco

asignco New Member

thank guys- i double check my work on that - yes it did read over 300. Any ideas on the firmware update ? Does one error screw up everything?

-Mark

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

A short circuit can make the arduino board freak out. You've restarted your computer and all of that?

6. asignco

asignco New Member

thanks very much - reinstalled thermister and all seems to be working as before. Reloaded the firmware ( i just did a restart yesterday obviously not enough) I'll relevel everything and try to print.
    Any tips to know using this hotend over the original model?

thanks again - you all are a great help- wish I knew more, but plan to learn as I go - Mark

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You might need to run PLA a bit hotter with an all metal hot end. Also seasoning the nozzle is good practice to mitigate clogging.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

+1

(And the running PLA hotter was true, but non-obvious to me.)

9. asignco

asignco New Member

new issue - the filament keeps getting jammed in the new E3D v6 hotend. starts fine - lays down a border, 4x4in on my print - than peters out.
    when installing the 2 screws which hold the hotend in place, I was getting some resistance so they are not in all the way - was afraid of stripping them. But my E3D came with a bowden tube and black holder, but I didn't install it.
    Is there something I'm missing? - seems like the filament just not feeding properly. Didn't change speed settings from original head

thanks, Mark

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If it jams on the first layer you're probably too low

11. asignco

asignco New Member

thanks - I'm using the business card method, like before the hotend swap. I tried lower and higher, but I don't even get to or barely get to the actual printing of the model stage. So I'm thinking it must be the path of the filament from the gear drive into the hotend. Any chance I don't have that aligned properly?

-Mark

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does it extrude at a consistent rate if you have it free extrude with the nozzle in the air?

13. asignco

asignco New Member

yes - comes out clean and uniform when it does come out - I was sure to clean the nozzle tip, but didn't remove it yet completely - hoping to avoid disassembly
    -Mark

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

15. asignco

asignco New Member

no I haven't seen this - I'll check it out - thanks

16. asignco

asignco New Member

I take that back - if the nozzle is in the air, some material comes out, but then it stops. Hadn't really noticed that.
    While with the original, it would flowout continuously. So what does this mean?

17. asignco

asignco New Member

found my problem - had the hotend not seated properly in the feeder. filament was getting hung up as it fed through.
    some how got extruder at an angle. tip off should have been how hard it was to reset the 2 holding screws.
    thanks for all your help

2 people like this.
  18. asignco

asignco New Member

Thought my troubles were over. ABS _I'm out of PLA -jams right at the nozzle. Tried higher temp, slower flow rate-jams after about 12 linear inches laid down. Reading the E3d website,-is says fan need to connect to a 12v source. I hooked into the old fan. Was that wrong? It the new fan to run continuously? I don't recall if the original fan configuration did. If so, I have replaced my arguing board, so I'm familiar with it. What number is a convenient power slot for the 2prong plug?
    Also need a little help with the marlin #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5 as per e3d. Exactly where do I find this and how do I download it. I just ran the marlin latest upload, so I see all those files. Is there one to alter. No idea about software coding so please be specific.
    Thanks, mark

19. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

20. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Also many many threads on this. Too bad the search engine is so bad here:(. You need to modify the file called configuration.h in two places. One for the thermistor type one for the max temperature limit. Some of this is on the E3D web site.

Around line 134 change the sensor type to 5. "//" means a commented out or ignored line of code.
    //#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 //robo
    // SLC Change for E3D hotend Semitec thermistor
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5​

Around like 160 or so change the max temp to something around 300C
    //#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 240 //robo
    // SLC change for E3D hotend
    #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 310​

Then download the new firmware with from the Arduino environment.

See Melody's FAQ for the flashing procedure. It is really not difficult or dangerous.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fryBbKG8rpOCfsWk3UbcJzHEItqHU0iFY7uVRF3sFx0/mobilebasic?pli=1#