1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New owner with doubts

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by hellavagi, Aug 25, 2016.

1. hellavagi

hellavagi New Member

I just got my R1 Plus, and so far I find it good, but not sure if it's a keeper just yet. I'm deciding between this and a Dremel. I got both for the same price.

About the R1:
    Seems to print pretty good and I love the auto leveling, but I'm not liking that I have to be tethered to my computer just to start printing. Is there a way to use this without having to be next to my computer? Does the lcd mod allow you to do that? I'm also worried about the reliability and longevity after reading so many people having problems just a few weeks in. Anyone have had problems with the build quality? Also is there a way to shut of the heat once it's done? I left one printing when I was out and I got back the print was done but the heat bed never shut off.

With the Dremel:
    I like how simple that is to use, even though it can only do PLA and smaller build plate, but software sucks. I do all the prints all from the printer menu. 1 year support is a plus. 3DPrintingNerd seems to recommend it.

Any help is appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes. Slice the STL file, export the G-Code to an SD Card and load that into the printer and select print from the LCD menu.

Add the following to the Ending G-Code block of the slicer configuration:

M104 S0 ; make sure the extuder is turned off.
    M140 S0 ; make sure the bed is turned off.
    M84 ; shut down motors.

As far as reliability if you get them setup you generally can run for a really long time with no issues.
    People have issues getting started for a couple of different reasons:

1) they are not familiar with 3D printers at all and need help learning the technology. Getting the printer setup and configured correctly is not always new user friendly.
    2) sometimes parts break in shipping or 'just because'. The printers are not simple machines and sometimes things don't make it to your door intact :)

danzca6 likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

first! Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new Robo!

bear in mind (regarding the troubles you see posted) you dont hear anyone saying the good about the printers (there are tons of us with good ones) the forum is typically where someone will go for help not to praise their machine :D.

LCD mod is a great one! I love mine and wouldn't go back to the stock configuration.

Personally I'd lean towards the Robo...I had a printer with a cold build plate...I hated it so much I installed a heater. PLA is really more reliable with some heat (I also use hairspray), plus you can run a multitude of other materials.

I will say ...in my opinion...the 3 things the Robo needs is
    1.LCD MOD
    2.Dual Part Cooling fans
    3.Better quality hotend (E3D, Promethius, etc)

That said I ran with the stock hotend for a LONG time and countless print hours.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. hellavagi

hellavagi New Member

Thanks guys. Gotta admit that when I first got it, I almost returned because the belt was not attached to extruder and I didn't know it needed a ziptie rather than a tension block. I'm starting to warm up to the Robo. I just ordered the lcd (not the xxl though) and it looks like it works like the Wanhao I3, which is ok. If it make it as easy to use as the onboard dremel menu (and doesn't like break in the next 2 weeks) then it's a definite keeper. I don't know why the heat bed gcode wasn't there by default. Having something heated one while I'm away made me nervous. I'm more familar with Cura, so I'll give that a try and see how it prints. Thanks again, I really hope this printer is the one. I've gone through 6 different models now, with 4 of them being DOA!

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Shipping is insanely hard on printers, just luck of the draw :) ive had great luck on cheap machines and crap luck on expensive machines... go figure :) lol.

6. hellavagi

hellavagi New Member

That and terrible QC. I went through 3 I3's (all DOA with different problems), a Duplicator D6 (shorted after one print), a dremel with warped print bed (replaced), and now a robo. Hence why I'm so very apprehensive about choosing the right one. Dremel has great customer service and it's a year so that was a huge plus for them.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Welcome!

I only have experience with the Robo. I've had mine for just over 6 months. I had issues in the beginning which were mostly caused by myself not knowing what I was doing.

This is a "Tinkerer's" hobby and the technology we are using is still being developed for our use. Industry may have it down but for us doing this at home , we are blazing new ground every day.

If you are looking for a "microwave" type appliance where you choose from a menu and press go expecting a fine finished product every time then you might want to wait a decade or so for the tech to get to that point. Otherwise, no matter what you get you will need to learn how it works, how it breaks, and how to fix it. Then you will want to move on to how to improve it before you fix it after "improving it..." vicious circle.

Best wishes and again, welcome.

Geof likes this.
  8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I ended up buying a Monoprice Maker Select when the 1st Robo printer I had died and the Monoprice has run pretty much everything I throw at it with no issues.

By some fluke I won a Robo3D R1+ in the CES 2016 contest, but that printer died less than a month after arrival as well.

The Monoprice Maker Select? $350. One year warranty and the build area it claims to have is actually the effective build area you can use as opposed the Robo's build area carrying a silent disclaimer of "if you win the QC lottery, are only printing PLA and run it very slow, otherwise you have an 8 x 8 x maybe 5 if you're lucky and the unit doesn't have bent rods".

I mostly still post and chat here because the community here is exponentially more helpful than the actual Robo3D staff (and to keep people updated about whether the cheap-o budget printer I bought is still outperforming the Robo experience I had).

The Robo3D design has been grossly outpaced by other developers in terms of quality since it was originally created four years ago with only very minor component upgrades since it's original kickstarter funding, so this really shouldn't surprise anyone.

#8 daniel871, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The new Robo models are supposed to roll out next month.
    Wouldn't be the first miss on that if they don't, but here's hoping.

10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

With all of the deep discounts Robo has had lately ($200 off new R1+ making it $599 and now refurb R1+ for $499) and Best Buy had them really cheap a few weeks ago it looks like they are trying to move inventory. So I am hopeful that they will be finally making the next move to release the R2...whatever that might be.

I think for the company, it is time. They need to make this move. I mean they are still sending R1+ models for review to youtubers like Joel Telling. I really wish they would be sending R2 units to them to be testing and ready for a review once the official release comes. Daniel is right, the industry is moving on and the feature to price advantages that Robo might have had in the past are going by the way side. The amount of improvement from the beta to the R1+ isn't enough for the years that have gone by. Don't get me wrong, I like my refurbished R1 turned R1+. She melts plastic like a boss...but I know it can be better. Of course I like to tinker so I will make that happen myself, but as a company I think it is time for Robo to officially raise the bar of what a Robo is and take that next step/leap. I don't think buyers today of a Robo should be remorseful about the R1+. They are good machines. And like any machine they need to be understood and maintained. Like mentioned above already, 3d printing isn't to point where you can be guaranteed to just plug and play. Some get that out of the box, but there are probably more that come with needing some TLC. Be it QC or the shipping gauntlet that causes the issue. <stepping down>

11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I think the other answers have been pretty well addressed, but I'll tell you that the 3D Printing Nerd has a favorable opinion of this machine. He just hasn't gotten the chance to review it yet.

My guess on the price drops and R2:
    -R2 does not get here before Xmas.
    -R1+ prices are just low to drive sales. Summer, and particularly the end of it leading up to labor day, is very slow business wise. I'm guessing they're just running at bare bones profit wise for a few weeks to bring in some cash.

12. danzca6

Oh great...another Christmas ruined... ;)

Yeah I am waiting to hear Joel's review. He has said a lot of good things about his Robo in other videos and social networks. He has plenty of printers to compare it against.

13. TerryAns

TerryAns New Member

I don't post very often but figured i would throw 2 cents in. I scoured the internet before i decided on the robo. review after review. There was a time i figured i made a mistake when some things went wrong and the fact i bought a refurbed. In the end since i have learned much about the printer i quite enjoy the robo. I didn't buy the LCD control but opted to put an inexpensive laptop so i can make use of an in home cloud drive for design storage. But i look back. After some fixes and dumping Matter control i don't regret the choice in printers.

Rigmarol, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I called robo3d about the R2 and someone said wait till after the holidays. That did not make any sense to me but I waited. That was almost 2 years ago.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good thing you waited

Geof likes this.
  16. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I just saw on Facebook that they are starting a kick starter for the r2 or is this a different company and printer? Getting older I am easily confused ;P

Printed Solid and Geof like this.
  17. danzca6

Interesting... Very interesting.. Are you saying on robos Facebook? Makes sense.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats our robo...they say :)

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is what he posted:

Braydon Moreno
    49 mins
    Hi All,

Just wanted to reach out and let you all know we are less than 2 weeks away from launching 2 new 3D printers on Kickstarter, the Robo C2 (formerly the mini) and the Robo R2. I cannot believe we are finally here. It's been an unbelievable amount of hard work, dedication- and actual blood, sweat, and tears, but we know you all are going to be excited about the new features, look, and feel of the products. They are everything we have been wanting in a 3D printer, but at a phenomenal price point and with the hope of exceeding consumer expectations. We also have a mobile app to 3D print from with a cloud based library for the new machines.

We are also simultaneously launching a new brand look and feel that we hope you all will enjoy including changing the name to only ROBO. As we grow, we think this new look will be much more synonymous with the latest smart electronics while giving us new consumer appeal.

If you all could help us promote the new campaign on September 14th, that would be phenomenal. And also, we will have super duper early birds we will open up before the official launch for all of you as a thank you for supporting us along the way!

We would not be here without you, so seriously, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much. It feels like a dream to have a business like this and we promise to continue to push the boundaries and bring you all the latest and greatest.

20. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

That announcement was so boring it just cured my insomnia.