1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New printer coming in a few weeks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 4, 2019.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Tronxy X5ST-400, just saving some space.

Geof and supercazzola like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There are already a few modifications and a bunch more coming. I am learning to detest Bowden setups, going to switch to direct drive extruder. E3D Volcano since this hot end is basically a PLA only type with a PTFE tube running the full length of the heat break, all the way to the nozzle. Switching to 24V. Adding a 5V transformer, not just a buck convertor. Changing the plastic rollers to MGN12H linear rails for X and Y axes. Moving the dual Z steppers to a single stepper with belt driven lead screws.

When building the frame, adding the metal corners made it super stiff. Added 4 inches to the bottom of the printer to hide the electrical components and give me more room to do a few upgrades.

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Very cool project! Cant wait to see those mods! Question- is that really their suggested wire management? Lol

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I just put it together to get it printing, but the wiring is in about the same position that the instructions say it should be. The wiring for a few pieces is a bit short to the controller board. Tronxy has every component within the build space, so cooling becomes an issue. Since I was going to do a bunch of stuff to it, including moving all the electronics below the printer, I figured why tidy up the wiring since almost all of it will be rerouted.

You can also see that the R2 is dwarfed next to it. If the power supply fan wasn't as loud as the screaming banshee that Robo used in version one, the printing is super quiet. Once I encase the whole thing in acrylic panels you could probably fall asleep sitting right next to it while printing.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Already torn apart. I have some cast aluminum plate (MIC 6) coming from Midwest Steel and Aluminum along with a bit of bar stock. Already have MGN12 linear rails for X and Y axis. I have some longer lead screws coming because I plan on redoing the Z axis into a single stepper belt drive. When I did my first few test prints this thing, other than the power supply was 10X quieter than the R2, although my R2 is excessively noisy right now because of a dry bearing.

The CoreXY seems to run much faster than the Ultimaker kinematics used in the R2. Also being basically all metal rather than a platic case seem to make it much more solid. Have my 32-bit board and TMC2130 steppers already to go too.

So far, if someone likes to tinker and wasn't hurt by spending a few bucks on upgrades the Tronxy X5S seems like a decent deal. Cheap with no touchscreen and a Melzi controller board and no auto-level sensor, but completely open and upgradeable. Right now Banggood has the X5S for $369 which is a 330 x 330 x 400 printer, but the bargain is the X5S-400 for $399 which is 400 x 400 x 400. There is even a 500 x 500 x 600 version of the next model up for $799 called the X5ST-500.

Of course these are all kits so some mechanical skills are required.

Geof likes this.