1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New R2 producing 'string art'

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MikeDanatos, Nov 27, 2019.

  1. MikeDanatos

    MikeDanatos New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2019
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    2
    I have a brand new R2 and after some initial problems we seem to have a working printer. The problem is that the printer produces 'string art' instead of solid objects. One of the issues seems to be the print doesn't adhere to the baseplate so it gets pushed around by the nozzle. I am attempting to print the test prints that come with the printer. I've cleaned the baseplate but still no success. Before we attempt to produce anything of our own I'd like to at least be able to produce one of the canned items.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
     
  2. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    21,522
    Likes Received:
    7,060
  3. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    21,522
    Likes Received:
    7,060
  4. MikeDanatos

    MikeDanatos New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2019
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    2
    I have a new problem. I used the Z-offset wizard to recalibrate. and now the nozzle jams into the bed so hard the nozzle head won't move. (Not good). Is this the problem with it being stored as a positive rather than a negative number? How do I go about fixing the EPROM settings?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
     
  5. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    21,522
    Likes Received:
    7,060
  6. tkoco

    tkoco Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2018
    Messages:
    271
    Likes Received:
    129
  7. MikeDanatos

    MikeDanatos New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2019
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    2
    It looks like we almost have a solution here. I manually adjusted the Z offset in EPROM settings and am getting something that resembles a real print. However after getting through 10% of the print, the print lifts from the bed and I get more string art on top of a reasonable print. (see attached). Also I'm getting a funky base produced before the 'real' print starts.
     

    Attached Files:

    mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    21,522
    Likes Received:
    7,060

    Attached Files:

  9. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    21,522
    Likes Received:
    7,060
    There are times* when a RAFT is a valid solution, 99% of the time it is a band-aid for a poor first layer/z offset

    and the fact that the R2/C2 profiles were set to DEFAULT to a raft ... is stupid.
    And if you are new to printing there is no chance you would realize it is a bad idea ;)

    *A tall print with very little base to stick to the bed is one such case, although often just printing the model in a different orientation solves that
     
    #9 mark tomlinson, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:05 AM
  10. MikeDanatos

    MikeDanatos New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2019
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    2
    Looks like we're in business now with the Z offset properly set. Next up is to kill the raft generation.

    Thanks for all the help.
     
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. tkoco

    tkoco Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2018
    Messages:
    271
    Likes Received:
    129
    Try a Brim setting instead of the Raft default. If the bed level is in the ballpark, that should work (plus it uses a lot less filament)
     

Share This Page