1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

(50 sales/15 per week) is around 3 weeks

He didn't ask how long the lead time was for previous orders, he asked how it would be 'now'

I seriously can't stress enough how RoBo3D is strictly doing this as a favor to the community. They had no obligation to sell these and are making almost no money (in fact they probably lose money after the time spent) on them. I get that it sucks waiting, but just be thankful they're even offering this.

If you're in dire need (aka your printer is currently out of service because the Y axis is broken) contact me and I'll see what can be done. Everyone else I just ask for your understanding that this is a time consuming process and they've been short on parts for it. The orders re going out as fast as possible.

2. multimake

multimake New Member

Thanks Mike.. but I'm just saying I don't think they can deliver the upgrade in 3 weeks.
    And.. I bought the upgrade because they sent me an email.
    I am one of the first kickstarter backers, and I live in Spain so I have to pay a lot for delivery, taxes, etc.. I never complain about delivery delays.. But saying they are making me a favor by selling me the upgrade.. sounds exaggerated..
    I love my Robo, and I love helping entrepreneurs to start his first business.. but sometimes looks like they are being overwhelmed by the situation.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They are, and things are improving rapidly, especially in the 8 weeks since you ordered. Should Jerry keep up his 15 a week, then 3-4 weeks should clear out the back order.

2 people like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, doing the upgrade is work too. They only send you the parts :) nothing else... If not for the instructions (http://mikedifilippo.com/robo-y-axis-upgrade/) someone posted a link to earlier it would be a bear. I have been getting ready to do it, probably will this weekend. At least they did make them available and 'at cost'. Be patient I would say.

5. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

Is there way to use the new auto-leveling upgrade with the old heated bed?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

7. Peter

Peter Member

For me, I needed to get printing so badly this weekend that I cut a non-heated bed from 6mm acrylic, by hand, to replace my cracked boro. This piece of junk works great, but it's not very flat. LOL. PLA stiiiiiiicks to acrylic.

I had to add some extra screws with a stack of spring washers so i could pull the 'bow' out of the bed after the y-belt tensioned it up. haha.

20140614_035248.jpg 20140614_035346.jpg

I'm still on the fence about upgrading y axis using the kit or my own design with linear rail slides/trucks.

I plan to 3d print stupidly large objects for investment casting in stainless, so it's an opportunity for me to increase the y build volume length by 100mm or so at the same time.

2 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Where does the SD card reader harness end up? I guess I have some research to do :)
    Mechanically I have it done, am just getting the wiring sorted now.

edit: NM found it buried up in this thread (page 2) :)

9. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

I was referring to the new rail system that the bed lies on. I believe the draw rails that came with my robo3d my be bent just slightly that the front pushes up, and this interferes with the correct homing of the z-axis. Is there a way to purchase the new Y-axis bed slider, and install it with the old heat bed.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Oh yeah sure. They don't have that option for sale, because the adhesion of the magnets is an important step. But I made my own 3d printed version if you can find 8mm smooth rod at 14", I had to make my own.

I need to compile all my files and share them for others. Been dragging my feet on too many things these days

2 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Getting the new bed level is a trick. Make sure all (all) of the bolts/nuts through the new middle plate are tight, but the real trick is to make sure the magnets are seated correctly. They want to snap into place, but that 'place' is not always the correct 'place' :) Check the alignment/seating of the magnets and it is all good. Otherwise it can be as much as 1/8" off from end-to-end.

I will try some printing with this tonight or tomorrow morning, but it looks sweet installed (which is a bit of a pain, but straightforward).

Oh, one thing. In addition to the heater wires coming off the bed there are the two wire for the thermistor. Mine was cleverly labeled 'end stop' at the connector where it plugs on to the RAMPS board. I figure that must be wrong :) SO I landed that connector on the bed thermistor input. We will see I guess.

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hey Peter, How did you extend the XXL LCD ribbon cables to reach that mounting location? I looked into doing that and the signal integrity seemed like it would be marginal with ringing. I thought about adding a buffer board but just ended up velcroing the LCD lower down. Does it seem pretty reliable? That is a long path from the Atmel through the RAMPS board to the SD card.

13. Peter

Peter Member

Its only 550mm.

I discussed making longer ribbons with a professional electronics engineer friend. When i told him that i wanted to extend the signal ribbon cables between a SDreader controller and a ramps arduino style board, he said "well as long as its under a few meters it should be ok"..... i said that people were having trouble with going to 500mm and he thought it was odd. It seems that if the circuits/ribbons are designed well, to have parrallel grounds between each signal conductor and such, it should be the case that a few meters is fine in similar applications. We know this isn't the case here.

Without studying the design of the ramps or xxl controller i have no idea whether they did the circuit designs for the ribbon cables this well, but i may assume not. since people have trouble with it....

Either way, i made brand new cables with the ribbon conductors seperated, bundled and twisted and wrapped in foil tape.

No gaurantees, but mine work fine, though i drilled holes so i could route the cables through the base of the printer directly under the cover-front-leg-area. ie, not right next to the stepper/heater wires.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Apparently the upgrade kits have 'quality' issues as well. Be warned.

I got mine working today, but it was a pain. The bed has 4 wires. Two for the heater and two for the thermistor.
    The thermistor ones are in a little connector to land it on the RAMPS board.

I had no heat to bed and no reading of temp (was zero). When I actually traced it back (see attached photo) one of the wires for the thermistor was actually going to the bed heater and vice-versa. I had to dismantle the connector and swap the wires for it to work. In the picture the white and red wires were originally landed in the thermistor connector. As you can see the white and green are really the thermistor and the red and black were the bed heater.

Confusion indeed.

It is now working wonderfully. The only gripe is that the Y is about .1 MM off from one end to the other. There is no way to zero this (before I could use tesseracts bed levels for tweaking). However since that delta is from end to end across the entire print surface it will probably not be an issue for everything. I will see if I can adjust it by shimming the magnets or something, but is is at least back to printing and the upgrade (when installed correctly) is really nice.

Attached Files:

15. Peter

Peter Member

shim it with paint

16. Peter

Peter Member

RoboD Wiring 01.jpg RoboD Wiring 02.jpg
    The 'ribbon' cables are the silver ones in the top left corner

2 people like this.
  17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Damn your wiring puts me to shame.

18. Peter

Peter Member

Thanks.
    I'm a Senior Design engineer at a lighting and electronics manufacturing company, so this isn't as neat as it should be.... for 'me' but yeah, it's neater than it needs to be. :)

2 people like this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:p

If need be I will get some shim steel. Like I said, .1 MM from end to end is not a crisis.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Where do you get your wire wrap?