1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Newbie with two questions/problems....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rod Smith, Nov 10, 2017.

  1. Rod Smith

    Rod Smith Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2017
    Messages:
    87
    Likes Received:
    33
    Hi,

    I received my new Robo 3D R1+ earlier today, and I've been setting it up and doing some prints with it. In the process of this, I've run into a couple of problems. I thought I'd ask for the advice of the experts here.

    • I initially spent quite a while trying to get the printer to "talk" to MatterControl 1.7 running under Linux (Ubuntu 16.04, to be precise), with little luck; MatterControl simply sat there when trying to make the connection, with no feedback. Examining the kernel ring buffer (dmesg), I noticed some errors cropped up after a minute or so, but I didn't write them down. I eventually rebooted into macOS and got it working; and I had also bought a Raspberry Pi with the intention of setting up OctoPrint. (It's up and has detected the printer, but I've not yet printed via OctoPrint.) Thus, knowing what went wrong here isn't critical, but I am curious, and I'd like to be able to print directly from Linux on a laptop should the need arise. My suspicion is that I need some firmware files to store in Linux for delivery to the printer, but I'm not positive of that. (I've run into similar weird problems where a device seems to be present but doesn't work when firmware files have been missing.) If anybody's got any tips, I'd appreciate hearing them.
    • The second problem relates to my print of a three-part top-mounted filament holder I found on Thingiverse. The print of the first part (the spool) came out OK, but I manually added supports to it. (I don't think they were needed, but I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.) Two of the four supports didn't survive the print process; they broke during printing -- see the attached photo. Although the print as a whole is acceptable, the broken supports are troubling, and I'd like to address the cause. My suspicions are that either I need to adjust the Z-axis a bit or the desk on which the printer is sitting isn't stable enough (it does wobble a bit, especially when the printer moves its head or base rapidly when printing small parts). Also, I sliced this piece using IdeaMaker, which I haven't seen discussed on this forum (search turns up just two passing references). I suppose it's conceivable that IdeaMaker's supports are just unusually delicate, or something about the print settings in this software were wrong.
    [​IMG]
    FWIW, I also printed the MatterControl test ring and an oiler from Thingiverse, with no problems other than the Linux connection issues.

    Now I'm off to clean the bed and print the support columns for the filament holder, this time via OctoPrint....
     
  2. WheresWaldo

    WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    5,905
    Likes Received:
    3,593
    Supports are by nature fragile or else they wouldn't separate from the model. Try your hardest to always orient parts for printing to avoid supports if you can. There is probably very little you can do to tweak such long free standing supports.

    The only way to improve long supports would be to cross brace them. As far as I know there is not a single slicer for FDM printers that builds supports this way.
     
  3. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    23,629
    Likes Received:
    7,312
    Can't tell from this angle, but you may not have even needed supports on that :)
     
  4. Rod Smith

    Rod Smith Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2017
    Messages:
    87
    Likes Received:
    33
    I discovered the solution to my Linux connection problem. I've detailed it in an answer to another user's question, here. In brief, it's a simple matter of lack of access rights to /dev/ttyACM0, the device file that Linux created for the printer. Adding my user to the dialout group fixed the problem. I'm recording this here in case somebody else has the same problem in the future and finds this thread.
     

Share This Page