1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ninjaflex

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Gage, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Gage

Gage Member

Hello all!
    Just ordered a spool of NinjaFlex and was wondering if anyone has tips for printing in this medium.
    I understand SLOW is needed. I have the E3D v6 hotend which is capable of printing flexible materials.
    So any advice would be awesome!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That thread and patience

3. Gage

Gage Member

I found that thread and went ahead with the prints.
    Slow and steady and I am two for two in my prints of Ninjaflex now.
    Only issue I had was adhering and bit too well to the bed. Lol

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea that stuff loves to stick lol

5. Gage

Gage Member

Guess I will try to ease up on my tolerances for the first layer.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I print it on clean glass with low to.no bed head :) 40 at the most

Gage likes this.
  7. Gage

Gage Member

I will give this a try

8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Nice, I can't get that stuff to extrude out of anything. I think I have been fighting it off and on for a year. have never got it to extrude. (reliably enough for a print )

On my other printer, yea when it prints it sticks really well. Don't print it on BuildTak type material or its not coming off lol. If you have buildtak, zebra, fleks plates. put glue stick down to help it not stick so much...sounds opposite of normal but it works.

9. Gage

Gage Member

Yeah I had it on Kapton and couldn't get the model freed. However I went two for two on my prints. Just use the settings suggested by NinjaFlex on their website and was fine.
    E3D v6 with the PTFE tube run up through the Wades to just below hobbed bolt. Used Marks suggestion of releasing the feed end and manually setting the filament into the PTFE tube. Closed the feeder. Brough it up to temp and went to town. Had to increase the extrusion rate to 115% but high heat low speed seemed to do the trick. My trial cube is at work being used as a door stop now. XD

10. Juan Guzman

Juan Guzman New Member

Has anyone had successfully printed any parts with Ninja Flex on the Robo 3D R1 I have tried, the oiler adding a piece of Teflon tubing right after the drive and into the hole that goes to the hot end, I do not know what else I can try that does not require to make modifications to the printer. Help please!!

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

On the stock hotend i was unable to make flex work well regardless of what i tried

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, there have been a number who have (myself included) but print speed is also a critical factor.
    The stock extruder is just not designed for flexible filaments. It will take a lot of fiddling to get it to work...
    You need to do the tube modification and you have to run the print speed really, really slow (think in the ballpark of 15mm/sec)

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I frankly don't use NinjaFlex much anyway since it is TOO flexible for most stand-alone prints (would be great as a multi-extrusion material). I switched to using SemiFlex. It still needs the same care/procedure as NinjaFlex, but it is stiff enough to print something standalone.

I like to say SemiFlex is flexible, NinjaFlex is floppy.

Geof likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As an example... A print with SemiFlex can be easily bent, twisted, etc. I have printed parts 1/3 of an inch thick, up to 9 inches long that are very easy to twist/bend (fold it in half if flat enough). But they are firm enough to hold their own weight. NinjaFlex is not that firm. It is very soft rubber.