1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Not extruding enough

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Xander, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Xander

Xander New Member

Hi.

I have a problem with my prints. When I print something the first few layers go quite well. But from a certain point the infill lines become superthin or don't get lain down at all. You can also see this at the outside. It looks like there is not enough material being extruded. (see pictures)

I have googled this and found that you should LOWER the extrusion multiplier. I changed it to 0.9 and that did not help.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong.

Printing at 0.3mm
    230 C
    45mm/s
    foto problem 1,1.png foto problem 2.png

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

If it's not extruding enough you will want to increase the multiplier. Not decrease it. Calibrate your extruder as well.

Xander likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Xander To clarify what @jbigler1986 said, first calibrate your extruder steps, it is likely set way too low. See video here:
    Then you can safely modify your multiplier, if you really need too.

Xander likes this.
  4. jbigler1986

Thanks for that. I tend to forget that a lot of people that need help are still new to 3d printing. I should explain myself more sometimes.

5. Xander

Xander New Member

ah thanks for the video. I did what he did and i measured that i only extruded 81 instead of the 100. So that might explain a lot. But I'm not 100% sure how i should correct for this in mattercontrol.

6. Xander

Xander New Member

Is it right that this should be done in the EEProm settings? Where i can change the steps per mm for the E (i assume that this stands for extruder) which is currently sitting at 723.38 and then changing it to 723.38*(100/81)=893?

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If that is what the math works out to. But I would be a little more cautious, I haven't seen too many numbers over about 820. It is just that 723 is some number Robo pulled out of their *****, and not anything near the reality. Once set and reflashed, then do the extrusion test again to verify your results. At that point you can then play with extrusion multipliers if you really need to fine tune the settings.

Xander likes this.
  8. Xander

Xander New Member

Ok, than i will try that. I will up the speed in steps. And measure again after each step. Thank you for your advice.

9. Xander

Xander New Member

With some more testing I noticed that when I set it to 850 I get an error of only 10mm (now it extrudes 90mm instead of 100). For some strange reason the first try after I change the value it extrudes way more than the later test. For example the first test at 850 resulted in 120mm and the later test always resulted in 90. So I guess the 90 is correct. I just want to know if it would be bad if I would up the speed to 900 or even more. I don't want to break anything.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just software. In this case controlling how long it is going to run the stepper for the filament feed.
    You are probably not going to break anything.
    Just do what you have been: test, change, test again

11. Frankn

Frankn Member

Did you check that the gears weren't slipping on their shafts? Long shot, but would cause variations. Just a thought. Frank

12. Xander

Xander New Member

Okay, so after doing some more test yesterday, increasing the steps even more I noticed that it still did not really got close to 100. Maybe even started to deviate more. So I decided to do some test prints. Those were horrible so I lowered the steps per mm again. I noticed that the prints were indeed better at the original values. This is why I did a print at 850 steps per mm, but at a lower speed, 35mm/s. This seemed to be good but I noticed that after around a layer of 15 the print started to fail again. This is clearly visible in the pictures. You can see that the first layers are really good and then all of a sudden it changes. The temperature was still the same, atleast that is what mattercontrol said.

Does anyone know what is going wrong?
    foto problem 3.png foto problem 4.png

13. jbigler1986

What spool holder are you using

14. Xander

Xander New Member

uhm I made one myself, but it was definetly not stuck or something. I made sure of that

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Xander, when I get sections like that it could be because there is simply not enough pressure on the Wade's Idler, take the two screws out and add a couple of washers to each side then replace, this should allow you to increase the pressure a bit on the filament against the hobbed bolt. Also make sure the hobbed bolt is clear of little filament chips. Its likely that you are pushing the right amount of filament but the back pressure is just a small amount more than the extruder can handle, as a result the feeding is inconsistent.

Also, sometimes slowing down the speed of infill layers can mask over this, since the extruder can keep up. A quick dirty fix for the problem mentioned above.

16. Xander

Xander New Member

@WheresWaldo thanks for the advice. I added another bolt to up the tension, as you can see in the picture, but it did not seem to really change anything. The first layers are still quite okay but around layer 15 it still fails. foto problem 5.png

17. jbigler1986

Remove the nuts by the springs. Put a washer there instead

Frankn likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I wonder if possibly the stepper driver for the extruder is failing or over driving (and starting to reduce/skip steps)?

You might try tuning the stepper driver for that one.

19. Xander

Xander New Member

@jbigler1986 it used to be without the nuts, so you mean it is now to thight?
    @mark tomlinson what does that mean? and how do I tune the stepper driver?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member