1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Not extruding enough

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Xander, Aug 18, 2015.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yeah, it can rarely be too tight. Most people think in terms of extremes. Either they compress the spring completely (that actually is too tight) or not enough (most often the case). Also just for giggles, check the actual idler arm to make sure it is not cracked at the bottom pivot hole. I have broken two there and it prevented the bearing from pressing firmly no matter how tight I made the tension adjustment screws.

I am assuming this is PLA, I would also try lowering the temperature to around 200°C, it will extrude a little better when it's not completely liquid. Now one big thing. Double check all your slicer settings and make sure they are at a good starting default for the material you are using and RE-SLICE! With all the advise you are taking it is sometimes good to start completely over, that way no steps are overlooked and no changes are forgotten. You don't know just how many parts ended up in my recycle bin when I first started out because I made some adjustment then forgot that I did it and made more adjustments on top of it.

#21 WheresWaldo, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Xander likes this.
  2. Xander

Xander New Member

Okay so I tried that. Turning the POT a little to the right increasing the power, but that didn't work, if anything it made it worse. The first few layers are still good but in the end it still fails. I also noticed that when I'm just extruding and not printing that there is some smoke coming from somewhere near the printhead or stepper motor. The steppermotor is not hot though. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I thought it is worth mentioning.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Those nuts are preventing the spring from putting tension down...

4. Frankn

Frankn Member

It is just put together wrong!! The way it is in the picture, you can't even release the tension to insert the filament. The post below the picture is right. Take those two hex nuts off. If you want more tension put the hex nuts on the bolts first, just below the bolt's head.
    The way it is in the picture, the springs are doing nothing. You need a spring loaded pressure roller, not a bolt lockdown pressure roller.
    Frank

5. Xander

Xander New Member

No I think the picture is not totally clear. The hex nuts are way bigger than the bolt so the threading is not interlocked. The hex nut now acts as a big washer.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. Frankn

Frankn Member

Well that's worse! If you have two threaded surfaces that intermittently contact, you have varying pressure! Frank