1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Not off to a good start with Simplify 3D

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NeuralChris, Aug 30, 2015.

1. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Just tried printing a super simple model using Simplify3D for the first time and came back to see this. No clue what happened, but this has never happened with MatterControl.

I'm currently heating up the extruder to 230c and am hoping it'll just pull off. Any other device on how to rectify this?

Attached Files:

2. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Heating up the extruder allowed me to pull it off and it's extruding normally, whew!

3. Nick C.

Nick C. Member

So I had to go into scrips and the offset was set to -1.0 I made mine around -0.76 I had to play around with it. I have had nothing but problems with the robo and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniel871 likes this.
  4. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

I've been printing a ton of stuff and it's been working pretty well. This is the first time I've seen this happen and also the first print I did with S3D. Might not be it's fault, but it does seem a strange coincidence.

5. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Although I did notice that on the first layer of the reprint (still with Simplify) the infill isn't hitting the perimeter. Any idea why this would be?

Attached Files:

6. Nick C.

Nick C. Member

You need to change setting under infill it's called outline overlaps. It takes a lot of playing around to get use to the app. I never had to change one setting tho when using simplify 3d with my dreamer tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might want to use their online tutorials to get familiar with it. Great videos.
    Lots of extra 'stuff' you can do with Simplify so those can help get up to speed with it.

Also, they have actual support. You could open a ticket with them

8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

THIS is correct. The issue is that you don't have the offset set correctly to get a good first layer. Whatever you used prior to s3d, you ran some kind of a leveling process. You have to repeat this.
    The first layer pics you have posted show your nozzle clearly too far away, so changing from -1.0 to maybe -.8 is probably good. You can also cheat a little bit and export some gcode from whatever software program you were using previously and look to see what offset was in there. gcode files can be opened with any text editor program.

That's not correct. It's a first layer issue. If you adjust the outline overlaps, it will do it for every layer, which is not what you want.

9. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

So in my starting GCode, I changed "M565 Z-1 ;" to "M565 Z-.8 ;". That should do it right? I didn't see any other settings for changing the first layer's height.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's the easiest way to set the first layer height, yes

11. Sonny's Robo3D

yeah I had to do the same thing when I got S3D. the GCode change "M565 Z-1 ;" to "M565 Z-.8 ;" did the trick. I'm printing better than ever now

Mike Kelly likes this.
  12. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Same here, it looks 1000% better now with that one small change. Now I just want to change the ending GCode so it kicks the build platform out and "presents" like it did with MatterControl.

13. Sonny's Robo3D

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. While I had some time at work I noticed I can add that code to the end of the gcode script

in S3D in FFF settings under the "scripts" sections and the "ending scripts" tab

It has this:
    M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
    M140 S0 ; turn off bed
    G28 X0 ; home X axis
    M84 ; disable motors

I figure I can add after turning off the bed
    G1 X10 Y200

and commenting out - G28 X0 ; home X axis

Which is how mattercontrol knows to present the model at the end.

I was going to try this tonight. Will let you know how it goes. Unless you want to take a stab at it.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. NeuralChris

NeuralChris Member

Yeah, that did it. Used the G1 X10 Y200 code in place of the G28 X0 and it presented properly.

Sonny's Robo3D likes this.
  15. Sonny's Robo3D

Awesome - worked for me also

16. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

With S3D has anyone had the problem of it just stop communicating on the com port with win10?
    If so is there a fix, other than printing from the sd card?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, mine works fine with Win10. I had some USB issues with 8.1, but that sorted itself out with the upgrade. It was not an S3D issue.
    Open a support ticket with them.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Make sure the arduino shows up as Arduino Mega 2560 in the device manager.

You need to install arduino ide from arduino.cc to install that driver.

19. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

That's probably the problem, I don't see a Arduino Mega 2560 and I installed Arduino 1.6.5 already then I tried their instruction to install the usb driver to no avail. I am using a Dell xps I7 laptop with win 10 on it. I see a com5 which is the port for the usb cable and an unknown device slightly above it in its own category but no matter what I do I can't get it to install right. I did right click and install as admin.
    Maybe I need to back rev? Also I am not familiar with Arduino other than I know what it is.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can try reverting to an earlier version, but really it sounds as though the driver is not loading correctly (if the Arduino GUI can't see it either).

I did not have any real issue with the driver on my windows 10 machine (that is what I am controlling the printers with now). Try this one:

This may help (it is for Windows 8, but the idea is the same):

http://mytechblog.com/tutorials/arduino/install-arduino-drivers-on-windows-8/