1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered nozzel leaking filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Billy Jack Mast, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Billy Jack Mast

Billy Jack Mast New Member

Not sure if this is normal or not, but my nozzle always slowly leaks filament whenever it's heated. both with ABS and PLA. at any temperature that allows loading or printing. Does anyone else have this issue? I feel it is effecting my layers because it sometimes leaves strings or small stalactites of filament that get knocked or dragged into the perimeters and destroy the layer. Especially the first layer and during the bed leveling. This is a brand new unit only had it a week and it's always done this. (I have lots of other issues with extrusion, but I'm trying to work them out with tech support. Not sure what's related to what, cause/effect. I've only had about 5 out of 15 prints that were usable or didn't need to be aborted)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is normally a symptom that you are set too hot.

3. Billy Jack Mast

even at 185deg C(PLA) ?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Ooze is something we all have to live with in some degree or another. One thing to do to minimize it is to make sure you retract some filament at the end of each print job. That way the back pressure is limited and it will not ooze quite so bad. If you are using MatterControl it's in the advanced settings under Printer and Custom G-Code, in the END G-Code add something like this G1 E-3 or append the E-3 to any current G1 line already listed there.

The second part of you description may indicate that your extruder is not calibrated correctly. Look at this video for an explanation.

5. Billy Jack Mast

work on the extrusion calibration now. it amazing how much calibration these" ready-to-print" machines need...

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is "Ready to print"
    and "Ready to Print well"

As far as temperatures... comparing them is a fools game. Everyone will have (at least slightly) different "best print" temperatures. Not just for each filament type, but sometimes for each spool. So environment matters a lot. It is handy as a yardstick to roughly gauge if you are ballpark correct. 185 for PLA sounds low enough. However if you are using the 'blue sample' filament that came with the printer there is your problem ... it is garbage.

This is why they list a range for the spool and even then, they may be well off. Takes some experimenting :)

WheresWaldo likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That is marketing.

A 3D printer is not a printer at all. It is a small manufacturing plant and the machinery needs tweaking to get the most out of it.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.