1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Offset Layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mark tomlinson, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coby Robo 3D

Coby Robo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Mark have you tried tightening the pulley on the x axis? The set screw might not be tight enough, causing slipping on the motor shaft

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Something I just noticed. I am printing another test to prove it.
    When I print something long (tall) and narrow, NO X slippage seems to occur.
    None. Nada. It was only when we switched to printing the model that was wide (i.e. had a lot of X travel) that it started showing up.

With that in mind I tried re-tensioning the belt. Seemed tight, but WTH. So now it is about as tight as you could want it I imagine--I can't see how to get it tighter. It seems a little tighter than it was before.

I am trying another tall, skinny model that will be about 6-8 inches in the Z axis (1/4 x 1/2 in the X/Y). If it does no X axis slippage then I will try another copy of a wider, shorter model to see.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, but let me give that a shot as well. I couldn't manually turn or move it by hand.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

My bad I thought it was the y axis that was off and it is definietly the X disregard my earlier post about the bed stuff that was Y related switching thinking caps

QUESTION Have you tried printing a smaller solid object like a 1 inch cube or something to see if translates across solid fill

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

try printing a low flat wide solid object trying to get the long axis of the print on x but make it solid

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, great idea.

I am printing the skinny (very little x/y, but a lot of Z) model.
    Assuming that, again, prints with no X/Y errors I will go for a short stubby (lot of X, very little Z) and see what we get.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, last nights results are strange. I am attaching the photos (little blurry--sorry it was late).
    The tall skinny pair of objects printed with some spiderwebbing, but no X axis malfunctions. I then printed the long-wide model which was a LOT of X axis movement, but it also printed without any issues.

I am going to try the original model that had the problems again, all I can think is that maybe the belt was a bit loose and tightening it helped (but, IMHO, if that is true then it is *very* sensitive to the tightness of this belt).

Lesson well learned if that is all it is :)

Attached Files:

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am also going to pop the case off and check the pulley as was suggested. But I am less suspicious of that after the good prints.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

tbh I think the issues is the ringing effect I talked about, I think though, in another thread. Your original print had the large opening in the center and all of the other prints were solid and even in the tall skinny where you would have exptected teh same shifts to occurs they did not because they were solid. If you were goin g to try again I would seriously consider altering some of the speed settings. it does not sound like it will work but I had the same thing sort of happen on a small hole ringing example.jpg
    not seen in this pic is that the outside edge on this face of the print which ran parallel to x had the same slight shift outward though with it being this small it ended up being just rougher but again it was only in this small vertical spacing.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is currently reprinting the original model and about 1/4 of the way done. It is at or past the spot where it would fail previously and -- it is flawless so far.

I will update this when it finishes to let you know, but I am thinking at this point that the belt tightening did the trick -- or magic :)

It just did not seem loose, but clearly that has affected it in a positive way. Assuming it does finish as well as it has started it bears beating the drum that the belt needs to be tightened...and it is (or was for me) tough to see that it needed this.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It worked, flawlessly. Clearly the belt tensioning did the trick. It did not seem loose, but clearly it was loose 'enough'. In fact I would venture that--at most--we tightened it ONE more tooth of the belt. That is it. (photo attached just for completeness to show the completed print so you can see the difference. The photo is after post-processing which helps explain the shine).

Before, even with small models, sometimes the first couple of layers would have a bit of offset that would then self-adjust. Now, that is also gone. It prints exactly as I would expect it to.

So people--tension your belt :)

and thanks to all of the suggestions and ideas, we now know what to look at when these glitches start to happen.
    Printing now looks GREAT!

Attached Files:

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One last comment. Today I noticed the X axis 'drifting' a bit. Each successive layer slightly off.
    This absolutely was the Allen screw in the pulley loose.

BTW: it looks like there should be two of those in there, but I only have one. Is there supposed to be two?

I am putting some locktite (tm) on that bad boy :)

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that one is ok to loctite I do not know if there are two as I am in the middle of a print and can't check

14. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Hmm, I told you in my first post in this thread to check the pully ;)

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

true, and the Y axis ended up needing the same treatment.
    Robo3d support seconded the notion of the pulley.

In my own defense let me say that it was not obvious it was loose until you either tried to tighten it with a wrench or take the belt completely off. :)

16. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hi Mark,

I did not get a chance to see the entire thread but it looks like that slipping is on the X axis, did you check to make sure the belt is tight? Let me know. Thank you

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That problem was resolved by tightening all of the belt drive pulleys to the shafts (they were loose) and applying Loctite.

18. cosber

cosber Active Member

Mark, how did you tighten the belt?

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

X axis, cut the zip ties that hold the belt by the motor (on one side). Tighten the belt as many notches as you need and reapply zip ties.

Y axis, remove bed. No zip ties hold this -- it is looped through a clamp/connector at both ends. Remove it from one end, adjust it to take up a notch or two and re-install the bed with the belt in-place (it runs between two pulleys and drive gear under the board). It was easier for me to run the belt through the gear and pulleys with one side attached and then attach the other end to the clamp/connector as tight as I could.

3 people like this.
  20. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I found I'd had my Y axis belt TOO tight. Well, not too tight that it wasn't working, but it was tight enough that it was pulling the left side center of the bed upward. With the new glass only beds, there is enough flex in the glass to allow the center of the bed to be raised. Mine was up a full 0.006". Don't sound like much, but it's MORE than enough to fsck up yer prints! I reduced it 2 teeth, and it's working now. I CAN get slip but only from "junk" on a print piling up enough for the hotend to strike it and cause a skipped tooth. Same with the X axis. I ended up loosening up on the tension a tiny bit, and am happier with my prints SO LONG as the prints go well and I don't end up with extra junk from layers. Before, it would strike the material and just power through it. Now, if enough is there, it'll skip and shift the axis... resulting in a guaranteed bad print. Of course, the extra junk was a bad sign already, but sometimes it would still succeed... now I have to be a lot more careful about the quality of the prints if I'm going to walk away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.