1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Painting prints

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by m4r1n5, Feb 19, 2017.

1. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I am starting to paint my prints. For my Hulk I used green can spray and purple acrylic. So far 4 days and my 3 layers of green is still sticky. Pruple is going black. I used no primer, just sprayed it on. SanSai printed this just to see if Robo can do it, I wasn't concerned about the resolution so it's at .3. It came out nice and I'm painting it as a trial to see what works. Any tips would help
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

PLA???

You really need to use some sort of sealing primer on this stuff. Also on some plastics you can get away using an adhesion promoter such as this;
    [​IMG]
    basically a clear primer.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

We always prime the prints before paint.
    We prefer acrylic paints, but just about any decent primer will get the job done.

4. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I'm using ABS. When I use PLA I have to print a raft for assured support adhesion and that wastes filament, time, and hard to seperate. Ive been doing ABS slurry and its worked every time. Plus I can lower the infill more than PLA and know connecting parts are still stronger. And I can acetone it.

Is there a specific spray paint that's better to use on prints?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I sand and use filler primer on mine. Was acrylic paint brush but now will be airbrushing

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Primer required at my house.
    Acrylic seems to be working well for us.
    Daughters like to do the painting. We bought a nice airbrush but haven't tried it yet.

7. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

I have been using testors model paint, enamel. so far everything has been turnig out nice. haven't used any primer though. I just bought a airbrush so I will see how that works. never even thought about a primer or sealer. I will try it with my next painting project and get back to you. I will use it both on brushing and airbrush

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If I just want it coated I usually use Adhesion Promoter and then color right over the top, especially if I use filament in the same color family as the final color, otherwise it is a light sand, a light coat of Adhesion Promoter, then a covering of filler primer, then color, if it to end up all one color. Airbrush for multi-color prints.

I find the Tamiya paints work really well as does Testors (if thinned for airbrush use).