1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA/PHA - Colorfabb

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Printed Solid, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I came across this material a few weeks ago. A company in the Netherlands, colorfabb, is making a filament that is a PLA/PHA resin blend. The claim is that this toughens the material and increases the elongation to break. The idea of a filament that prints as well, if not better than, PLA while also being less brittle is quite attractive to me.

They only directly sell 3.0mm filament, but sell 1.75 mm filament through their distributors. They have quite a few distributors worldwide, but as of this moment, none in the US (where I am).

I was able to get my hands on samples of their different colors (including their transparent material, XT) in both 1.75 and 3.0 sizes. I've been running the 3.0 on the Ultimaker and plan on trying the 1.75 on the Robo when I finish up my letter bowls.

From the feel of the filament, it is definitely more flexible and smoother than straight PLA.

As I print new things, I'll post them on my blog, so check it out, but here are a few so far:

Stretchy Bracelet by Emmett
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13505 2013-08-12 18.50.21.jpg

No coin bottle opener (high speed, 200 micron). Quick print to test strength so it's a little rough.
    It passed my test. Opened my bottle just fine ;)
    2013-08-12 20.01.37.jpg

3 people like this.
  2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Looking good/cool Matt!

3. polylac

polylac New Member

Hi

I wrote them and asked for some data.

The PLa/PHA blend is more flexibel (elongation at break approx. 10% (yield)) so it can absorb more energy bevore it breaks, so it's more ABS like.
    Extruder temp. is about 210-220°C
    From what i saw the surface with this one comes astonishing smooth (without postprocessing)
    ( http://www.voxelfactory.com/collections/colorfabb-1-75mm-filament-on-spool 1.75mm filament )

they have also an XT filament. some copolyester thing.
    220-240°C extruder temp.
    you can use this up to 70°C
    (elongation at break 50% (yield))
    but the only difference to ABS I see is tha this one is odorless.

5 people like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks for the specs polylac!
    Later last night, I printed up two more of the stretchy bracelets. one more in colorfabb and one in high quality standard PLA. Cosmetically they were very similar.
    However, the PLA/PHA bracelet was noticeably 'stretchier.'

So, of course, I had to break them. I didn't really do it very scientifically, but I tried to take some measurements.
    I made a line on the table and held the bracelet in place with my thumb, then elongated it with my other hand. The PLA went to about 5" and then shattered into 2 pieces. The PLA/PHA extended to about 8.5" and then broke in half.
    Trying out the XT tonight on the Ultimaker AND trying out some of the other colors on my Robo.

5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Nice Matt, that is impressive on the 8.5"!

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Here are some of the XT prints. I am blown away by how awesome it it. Anyone with a bot that uses 3mm should give this stuff a try. For the 1.75mm printers, hopefully it will be coming soon. I'll post here if I hear anything.

More pics on the blog as well, but here is a stretchy bracelet in the XT
    2013-08-13 22.22.28.jpg

7. DavidF

DavidF New Member

Look like I need to come over and get a close look ;), nery nice looking print for sure!!

8. DavidF

DavidF New Member

Look like I need to come over and get a close look ;), nery nice looking print for sure!!

2 people like this.
  9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

You won't be able to see the XT stretchlet. Showed it to a female coworker and she wouldn't give it back!
    I've been 3D printing for a while now and bring in show and tell pieces all the time. This is the first time that someone has run off with my wares :)

Just goes to show that this is really great stuff!

3 people like this.
  10. Printed Solid

Staff Member

11. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Review of the material from Barnacules Nerdgasm. You should check out his youtube show if you're not already watching it!

12. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Really impressed with the color fab wood. Printedsolid provided me a sample with my order from him.
    Very very smooth in fact i can really only see the layers in the extreme close up photo. And not with my naked eye.

Amazed at how cleanly this stuff prints.

Thanks printedsolid I am a believer !

John

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  13. Printed Solid

Staff Member

For anyone interested in checking this material out. We're running a black friday special on sample packs.
    3 random colors and a total combined amount of 120grams. $5 with free shipping. US shipping only (sorry to everyone else).

14. Printed Solid

Staff Member

For those of you in Canada, voxelfactory.com is also offering a black Friday special