1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Possible Short in the Power to the Heated Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shawn Godwin, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn Godwin

Shawn Godwin New Member

Upon the completion of a 7 ½ hour print I took off the heated bed to remove the painter’s tape I was printing on to find something scary. The negative terminal of the connector on the back of the heated bed is completely black like it was shorting somehow (pictures show it best), as far as I know the heated bed still works fine, but I am a bit scared of damage to the bed and board and even of a possible fire. 20140617_153958.jpg I was only running the bed at 60°C and printing in PLA. Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Shawn Godwin

Shawn Godwin New Member

So this is a problem that has been happening to a lot of people?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

5. Shawn Godwin

Shawn Godwin New Member

Alright :/ thank you.

6. Krish

Krish Member

I also had this happen and I'm glad to say the communication I have recieved so far from the team is great. Its good to see they have acknowledged the issue and will be sending out a notice regarding this soon. Great work.

In the mean time I suggest people keep a very close eye on your prints. Don't leave it alone printing for a long time till we have more information on the cause and a possible solution.

7. Shawn Godwin

Shawn Godwin New Member

Are you still using the heated bed?

8. Krish

Krish Member

I havn't used my printer since the plug burnt out actually. I want to go through the printer this weekend and check all the wiring and resolder any wires that have just been twisted on.

My plug is fused together so I can't disconnect the bed at the clip. The information email sent out said the plug clip and wire (arduino board side) will be sent out to us and that no soldering will be required. Well that probably won't actually work for my case, I will have to cut the plug off at the bed side and source a and install a new plug with the little bit of wire thats left before the hot area of the bed.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I believe the fix will require removing the kapton heater and putting a new one on. But don't do that until you know for sure, that's just my assumption.

10. Krish

Krish Member

Cheers Mike, I will await further info from the team :)

11. Shawn Godwin

Shawn Godwin New Member

They said they will send me "the parts" so when I replace "the parts" I will post about what that entails.

12. Robb

Robb Member

Same thing happened to me. It's the wire harness. I replaced it and have had no problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. iancu

iancu New Member

My 3d printer was sended to me on june 17 and i am wondering if they solve that problem because after it was sended i received an e-mail about that probleem.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you received an email you're susceptible to the problem.

Did you receive the printer on the 17th or did it ship out on the 17th?

15. Krish

Krish Member

Just to update, I recieved further information via the teams facebook page. I have been told to send the heated bed and attached wire back to Jerry at Robo for repairs and the shipping cost would be reimbursed (I'm in Australia).

Although, with the shipping cost of the item it may have just been more economical to send a replacement bed seeing as the upgrade kit for older robos was like $99 and came with a new bed. Either way I will send this one off today sometime.

16. Robb

Robb Member

Let me know what exactly they send back since I just changed the harnesses I thought that fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. iancu

iancu New Member

it was shiped out on the 17th...i didn't receive the printer yet but i will received on monday.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

iancu i'd submit a technical support request just to be safe. They might have implemented the fix in yours before shipping, but it's better to know for sure

19. iancu

iancu New Member

I have submit it and Jerry told me that he will send me a new wire but he didn't specify when or how mutch it will take to receive it.

20. link4044

link4044 Member

My wires on my connector broke. One came out of the pin in the clip then the other two snapped.
    Then the gray wire harness has some rubbing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.