1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Possible Short in the Power to the Heated Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shawn Godwin, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I had added a zip-tie anchor and a ziptie to provide some strain relief on that connector. Not a bad idea...

2. link4044

link4044 Member

You hae pictures?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. Krish

Krish Member

Just to update. Had recieved a message via the Facebook team saying to send the bed back to Jerry in USA for repairs (because the plug was fused together so a replacement wire wouldn't suffice). I sent it off the next day.

The following day I get an email from Braydon and Jerry saying they are sending me replacement wires. I think they are all getting confused with the multiple different people trying to help me with this issue...and so am I lol.

Anyway, bed is somewhere on the way to USA.. hopefully it comes back repaired and I get my shipping cost reimbursed as promised via Facebook.

5. Krish

Krish Member

According to tracking my bed has been delivered to the team. Now we wait!!! I still have not been reimbursed for the shipping cost or had any replies after posting the bed off.

Looking at other peoples pictures, I'm not all that convinced that the wire being too tight (as mentioned in the information email) was the reason for all these melted plugs and wires. It seems to start only on the negative terminal of the plug.

Has the kaptone heater been changed from previous iterations of the printer? It's almost like the current draw from the heater was too much for the wires/plug to handle. Maybe a fuse should be included in line? Thougths?

6. John H

John H Member

Wow I'm having burnt wire problems too and sent 3 emails . Not a single reply . Seems They pick and choose who they wanna help out . Thanks.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is not new John, I shipped my bed back already as well (and am waiting to see when I get it back).
    What is disappointing is that this is not 'sticky' noted in the forums with a provided action plan.

They are unresponsive this weekend due to a trade show (but it is always something).

Krish, the new bed has a different heater. It is not quite the same as the old/original one. It is possible there is an issue with current draw. It is also possible that some of the connectors just have poorly done crimp connectors (which causes high resistance/more heat/flames).

Actually, I am not 100% positive the original bed HAD a connector there for the heater. I think it was wired straight to the RAMPS board... so bad show there.

2 people like this.
  8. John H

John H Member

Thank god I had my printer on a titled table and nothing flammable ..[​IMG]

9. John H

John H Member

10. Jeff Mercado

Jeff Mercado Member

Similar problem on earlier heat bed where it goes straight to the board without the connector this week. I have a picture of my bed connectors to show the difference. My problem was at the 11A power connector where the + line was scorched. I have two pics of the connector (MSTBA4 on schematic) which shows bubbling on the side and a scorched wire. I could not get continuity between the terminal and the pin on the bottom of the board so I believe this has shorted out inside the connector and I must replace it.

***Oddly, when I tested the voltage at the terminal for the heater, I did get 12V but the led never lit when the bed was being commanded to heat. I tested this by placing the positive multimeter lead on the heater terminal + and the ground lead to the gnd on the 11A power terminal... but when I tested gnd on the heater terminal I did get 0V. I am no electrical engineer so I am accepting there was not 12V on the heater terminal at least with sufficient amperage to heat anything.

I could place my hand on top of the board and see the temp respond in Repetier so I knew it wasn't the thermister. When I turned on the heater manually in Repetier I would get 5V to the gate pin of the mosfet so I knew D8 was driving it high (and the green graph on Repetier showed power on). 0v when off. I saw some discussions in the forums around the drive voltage not fully opening the MOSFET creating heat, but mine did show 5.0v, not less. So for now I won't dig into other MOSFETs. Those discussions seemed to be for temporary fuse related cutouts.

I could see 1 ohm on the heater element when testing ohms at the power terminal to the heater (not sure this is a valid check since I didn't disconnect the power lines, but I think it is). I had continuity between the polyfuse terminals so I think it is good.

I was about to desolder the MOSFET and test it (since I got 12V on the power line on the check above) when I came across this thread. Feeling stupid since this seems the most obvious place to start troubleshooting now. The connector scorching and disfigurement led me to check the terminal and with no continuity from the screw terminal to the corresponding pin under the ramps board it makes me think this is the culprit. That and the fact the LED is not lighting makes me pretty sure this will do it once fixed.

I smelled some electrical burning for last 2 prints... never a good sign but I couldn't identify its source on visual inspection and I was hoping it was filament or kapton on the hot end... I guess now I know...
    Ramps schematic troubleshooting.jpg heatbed - older version.jpg
    I had added a fan and tapped power from this terminal so perhaps the connection I put in place wasn't good enough creating resistance (and resultant heat) but I think I may be just fixing a symptom to the documented design weakness... we'll see once I replace it.
    connectordisfiguration.jpg connectordisfiguration.jpg
    Connected a schematic showing the troubleshooting in case anyone is interested.

3 people like this.
  11. Jeff Mercado

Jeff Mercado Member

With my above resistance measured at 1.0 ohm for the heatbed... perhaps this is my problem. I think that solving for I above I get 12A which would exceed the 11A power supply and the polyfuse. I'll think on this. Any way to increase the ohms on the heater (the thread I quoted from uses the word calibration) or is that just what it is? I may try to get a current reading once I get the connector, but not sure my multimeter can hack that and not confident in my inductance related DC meter.

I have ordered the RHEF1500CT-ND Fuse and IRLB3036 MOSFET as well. Sort of feels right to change those out if I am under the hood with a soldering iron.

#31 Jeff Mercado, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  12. Bob64

Bob64 Member

Anyone get the replacement wiring yet?

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

One preventive measure to minimise the risk of the Ramps heated bed plug melting (plus magic smoke or worse) is to properly "tin" the end of the stranded wire with a soldering iron. When the terminal screws are tightened (hard) the tinning gives a very solid low resistance connection. Even if the connection does go a little high resistance, the solder will melt just enough to make the connection low resistance again.

The tinning really should be done for all the high current stranded wires at manufacture. But I guess that's not going to happen until the warranty claims start piling up.

14. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

I was one nail close to not using their wiring when I got my Y-Axis kit. After getting the email about the shorting wires, that sealed the coffin and I went and assembled my own harness using locking Molex's. I feel 100% safer knowing I have a properly built harness under there.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The new connector is rated for higher amps. It will resolve any and all issue. The picture with the end stop on fire is very confusing and wouldn't relate at all to this issueissue

16. Krish

Krish Member

So the recent information email talks about everyone receiving a return labelled box for the entire bed to be sent back.. thats great to hear that the team is going to that length to make sure the fix is in place for everyone.

I just hope I hear some news soon about my bed being returned fixed and/or reimbursment for the shipping cost. Its been a week since it was delivered to them... and I've been about 2 weeks without any printing action!

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, they have already mine was well. Hoping to hear something on that by next week at the latest.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I know they have plans to take good care of you, but I'll press them to get yours out ASAP

2 people like this.
  19. Flavio

Flavio New Member

I bought the new R1 (for replacing the previous R1), and I wanted to know if I using a MOLEX connector (like used for EIDE HDD of PCs) could solve the problem ?

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I don't think those are rated to 9-10A nor should you use something with no locking latch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.