1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print head going too low during larger prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by darcangeloel, May 16, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you have broken something on the Hexagon... Just buy a new Hexagon or upgrade to an E3D.

https://printedsolid.com/

He has some bundles he will do so you can get the E3D, an LCD, Stud Thermistor and Simplify3D (or combinations of them).

You can get a Hexagon for about $40 if you prefer to go that route or under warranty give Robo3D a ring.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Printed solid.is my go to shop. Great guy great buisness.

3. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

What E3d kit would you recomend? Do they work much better and last much longer than hexagon extruder... if so why doesn't robo install those? I've done a decent amount of work fixing the printer and rerunning cables so I think I'd be up for it if you think its super worth it? Amazon kit would be best for me as I have prime and can't wait :)

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are repairable. You can buy individual bits and fix things.
    They are higher quality construction.

I'd go the extra and get the full-on E3D v6, but if money is an issue get the v6 lite.

Ask Mike (printedsolid) if he can upgrade you to a 40w heater core, but if not they are dirt cheap: do that as part of the upgrade: http://www.amazon.com/TOOTO-Reprap-Ceramic-Cartridge-Printer/dp/B019Q6AN96)

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

In my opinion its a great hotend.

I do recoment buying from printedsolid as he stands by his product with no bs. You do have to assemble the hotend which isnt bad but a stud thermistor is a must. I believe you can checkout with amazon from his store.

6. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Is the difference significant from lite vs the full version? Oddly the lite version is cheaper than a replacememt hex. The volocano one looks kinda epic. All in all money isn't a major issue.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The lite has a 240 or 260 deg cut off. I went for the full v6 because of that. Do i need it...not really... but i like knowing that i can. Matt at printed solid can hook you up with the lcd controller and full v6 with the stud thermistor and youd be good to go.

I cant remember do you have a r1 or r1+?

8. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

If thats the case id be happy to buy from his store if its who you guys recommend. Boy o boy the work never ends with this thing :) just finished printing an epic trex shower head which glows in the dark 22 hour print lol. Do you guys recomend the stablizer screw printable upgrade on thingiverse? I wonder if it would be worth it given that a long rob already goes into the top of the case for support on both sides.

9. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

I have an R1 autolevel (Refrubished from robo/ sort of half way fixed and put in the mail :) )

Geof likes this.
  10. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Also for the v6 lite will I need to flash firmware? Is that hard to do? I installed octopi without issue.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I like printedsolid so much i bought my controller, bunch of filament, e3d kit, simplify 3d, nozzles lol a 2nd printer and in the next month ill be ordering that fancy bcn sigma from.him. its great having a guy thats part of.our forum helping us out with our needs. He wont sell you crap to get a sale, he has his customers best.interests in mind.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok i have the r1+ so we have some small differences in hardware. Yours has the couplers on the threaded rods and blue leds?

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you buy the stud thermistor no firmware work needed.

14. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

So I don't see anything on the threaded rods but yes I do have blue leds. The rods have some long straight rod behind them and they go up into the case into a rubber like insert.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

On the bed side of the threaded rod there will.either be couplers or nothing. How about a picture ?

16. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

I'm down with thaf. Looks like that brings it to 45 for the kit which is still an awesome deal. Can I edit the highest temp from my discount lcd controller? Would this allow me to print in things like ninjaflex?

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand about the firmware question? The LCD controller wont allow firmware changes, only through arduino program and a computer hooked up via usb.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you use the stud thermistor no flash is required, but at some point you may want to bump max temps.

Sent from my Xtreme Play Tab v2 using Tapatalk

19. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Here is my printer in the garage with my plexiglass enclosure and all the fixings.

20. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Hmm it keeps saying my pictures are too large they are like 3.8 mb?