1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print quality issues after titan upgrade

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Ryan, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

So, I decided to do the Titan upgrade, I followed all the instructions on the wiki and the forum. I calibrated my extruder steps and changed the steps to 420. I never had a problem printing abs before but now I do. Here is a picture of what the first couple of layers look like. No parts fan was on during this. Any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you print pla successfully?

3. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Haven't tried, I'll give it shot and let you know how it does.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds great, thank you

5. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

After putting the pla in and starting the print I noticed that both z axis weren't even. I corrected that so now since I have the pla in there I'm going to try a print in place then again in abs to see if that fixed it

Geof likes this.
  6. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

So, this is my second attempt with pla. After my first failed attempt I switched out nozzles to make sure it wasn't a clogged nozzle. I was having problems getting a good tension , it seemed like no matter what I did I would just chew up the filament. Sometimes I would get a good feed but then after a couple of minutes it would stop and just grind the filament.

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you season it? Sounds like PLA micro-clogs and that is normal.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Partial jam, maybe cold side of extrusion or your tension isnt right. I dont have the titan so i cant advise how to set it up

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  9. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Yeah, I ran about 30mm a filament through at 230f with my oiler on

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Likewise, no titan.
    Can't comment on what else might help there.
    You may want to look at contacting one of the members who has done this.

All we can do is suggest the "normal" things.

Geof and Patrick Ryan like this.
  11. Ravitch

Ravitch New Member

I'm not sure how the Titan works, but your prints look exactly like what happens when my Bowden tube isn't fully seated in my hot end, which causes a disk of plastic to choke off the hot end and then the extruder starts grinding filament up since it can't push it through.

If that's the case you'll have to let your filament cool down, then heat it up and do a warm pull. Should pull up a plastic disk full of junk where the Bowden tube should seat. Chamfering the Bowden tube helps with that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  12. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Thanks, I take a look if I have time tonight

13. Ravitch

Ravitch New Member

I forgot to add that I struggled with this same thing for the longest time until I figured it out on my Rostock Max V3 (almost threw that printer in the trash and wrote it off as a business expense). The Bowden tube in the Hotend may seem seated, but even if there is the tiniest gap the process of retracting can penetrate that gap and start choking off your feed. Now every time I have to seat the Bowden tube into the Hotend threat through the ptfe coupler, I unscrew the couple three turns, push down on the Bowden tube with one hand, and screw the coupler in with the other with will force the Bowden down. That solves it completely now, and you can 3D print PTFE coupler wrenches that make this process easy. SeeMeCNC has this process documented in depth on their website as their HE280 Hotend suffers from this in a bad way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I had similar issues with the Max v3 and eliminated them by eliminating the HE280 :)

The E3D does not suffer from the issue since the bowden tube butts down into the end of the cold section where the HE280 it has to snug into the heatbreak... That makes the difference.

There is enough of a lip between the end of the cold section and the small bit of the heat break that the bowden tube fits into that it can be problematic. Like you said -- if not fully engaged it will fail.

15. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

So, I decided to take my HotEnd apart and clean everything and make sure everything was seated properly. I didn't see anything specific but after cleaning everything out i'm back up and running and printing great. I'm thinking that I didn't have the bowden tube seated all the way. Thanks guys

#15 Patrick Ryan, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.