1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print stops a few minutes in every time

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Fruition_Factory, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Fruition_Factory

Not off to the best first day with the R1. Finally got it to print on the bed using an older version of cura but now it stops on every print about 2-3 minutes into the print. Well aware its something to do with the usb timing out but how the heck does one get around that? I cannot go back to matter control because it is junk software that wont print on the bed, the newer cura version wont either. Cant use the micro SD slot. Any suggestions?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What do you mean stops? Is your ramps cooling fan running? Bottom right front corner. It should run all the time. Is your computer and USB ports set to never sleep?

3. Fruition_Factory

Ramps fan is running. com port and computer never sleep. 15th attempt in the past few hours and still every print stops a few minutes in.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What are the errors in the comm log ?

Do you have dual cooling fans? Possibly temp dropping to far?

I believe there is something in dura about setting the correct baud rate. Also have heard for usb users a need for a powered hub

5. Fruition_Factory

Well, let it be said that a problem can never be too simple... Hours of cussing and trying every dumb thing I could find related to this problem and the solution is the dumbest thing in the world.

If you have this problem and find this thread via google search the solution is GET A NEW PRINTER CABLE.

Yep, its that dumb. Switched out the cable from my inkjet printer in place of the one that came with the robo and viola, press print, and 2 hours later a have a beautiful rocket. No idea how a cable can cause the issue, but it does, I know for a fact as i changed nothing but switched back to the cord that came with it and it again started timing out a few minutes in.

Geof likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Because cheap Chinese made cables are cheap for a reason. Many do not fully meet industry standards. Manufacturers do not really care to spec the finest accessories they can find. They will take whatever the assemblers provide at the cheapest prices possible.

Fruition_Factory and Geof like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear your up and running again! I did the upgrade to the xxl controller so I didn't have to worry about usb issues. I bought mine from @Printed Solid (www.printedsolid.com). Might be worth taking a peek to see if that's a route you want to go.

Happy printing!

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Get a small (4gb or less) microSD card for dirt cheap. Then you can take the USB cable out of the equation :)
    Or an LCD controller as others suggested and you can use a full size SD card.

9. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

This, I noticed that even with my MacBook Pro, i7 2.9 Ghz, 16Gb Ram, 500Gb EVO SSD, if I start loading stuff, on the queue, the print pauses and the sometimes it would fail. This is likely because Cura and Matter Control is not optimized. That said, the untethered, SD/LCD option would eliminate this. As an added bonus, you get your puter back to download more stuff from Thingiverse :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.