1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer printing above the build platform. (And now a collaboration of issues..) SOLVED THANKS!!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Psychophoria, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Just received my Robo R1 today, and got everything working great. I've printed out multiple objects, with much better quality than I expected.
    Strangely, on my fourth print, the printer head started calibrating four inches or so above the bed. In addition, in stead of the Z axis moving down to meet the bed, it moves up! It's almost as if it's in reverse.
    I have no idea what to do.
    I've read most of the introductory guides, and have browsed through similar threads.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One or both of your Z axis microswitches in not aligned properly. Please check them both, they are located at the left and right ends of the X axis linear rails.

3. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I've located both of the microswitches. If I'm facing the printer, the microswitch on the left is being pressed down, the one on the right is visible.

P.S. I've tried adjusting the "Movement Controls" to adjust. I thought the sensors were supposed to prevent the extruder from coming in contact with the bed, but apparently that feature isn't working all too well. While trying the Movement Controls, it ran into the bed and tilted it briefly. It takes a lot of force to do that..

#3 Psychophoria, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  4. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I applied a zip tie to the right assembly to push the sensor closed, and it works just like before.
    Now the question is why there is a gap..
    Is this a manufacturing issue?
    I'm going to pop it open again and see if there's anything I can adjust..

Edit: So.. The horizontal bar is TOTALLY uneven. Not quite sure how I didn't notice this earlier.

#4 Psychophoria, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  5. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I adjusted the horizontal bar, then while calibrating it pushed down on the plate really roughly. I'm surprised the glass didn't break. I shutoff the machine to prevent it from pressing down further...
    The threaded rod is REALLY loose, and I believe it caused that issue.
    Now nothing is going through the extruder.
    I understand this isn't necessarily a consumer product, but.. It's put together quite poorly so far.
    • The screw was loose keeping the horizontal bar in place.
    • The threaded vertical rod is very loose, which caused the right apparatus to dismount and nearly break the heated glass platform. I'm not sure how I can possibly fix this. It's a simple design flaw.
    • One of the exterior panel/cover screws was put in sideways.
    I will post pictures and a video of the latest issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thankfully Amazon has a great return policy, but I'd like to avoid that if possible....

Edit: It's 2:30AM, and I'm exhausted after spending all day with this... Extruder is still not pushing filament out. It's not clogged, fan's running, etc....

#5 Psychophoria, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  6. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I just opened mine yesterday as well and the same thing happened. This is easy to fix. Manually turn the threaded rod with your hand to lower the high side down until the black support sits on top of the microswitch like on the other side. You may have to fiddle with the microswitch bracket until the x axis bracket sits in the proper position.

7. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Oh and by the way, be sure to level the x axis bar (the one the extruder sits on) as much as possible. I used a bubble level and it made all the difference with my first print. There is a great troubleshooting video that addresses this, but I can't post the link until I've made three posts!

I have to call Robo 3D today because my printer shipped with a broken SD card mount. I can't put a card in without the entire reader assembly pushing into the bottom of the printer, causing me to have to open the bottom.

8. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

Get an xxl lcd display to fix that because even when it's fix you will still lose sd cards in it and have to open it up anyway.

Terry Reilley likes this.
  9. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Printer up and running again.. Was a bit worried last night. Need to learn to step back and relax.
    Thanks everyone for the assistance.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Aaaaaaaand, jamming again..
    Fun stuff.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is PLA and you are not using an oiler...

12. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I'm using PLA, and using an oiler.
    Filament continuously gets stuck inside the heated element (Extruder?), or filament will happen to break off...
    It's a complete pain in the ass taking it apart, putting it back together, taking it apart, putting it back together.
    It shouldn't be getting stuck inside the actual heated element itself, not should the filament be breaking off by itself.
    Extremely irritating.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Breaking off where?

If it is breaking before the extruder (and after the hobb) that is ... strange.
    The only filament I have ever used that was remotely even susceptible to breaking like that was the LayWood
    could be bad filament.

I have not used the Heaxgon, but I certainly have never had any issues similar to that with either of the E3D units I have.

14. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

The break is only visible when you expose the extruder. Usually it will be broken right below the cog wheel that feeds the filament through, and it's obvious the cog is digging through the filament.
    Other times, I will slowly pull the filament up before taking it apart, and it looks shredded and skewed. Then it will be broken right above the extruder.
    I usually hear this bizarre crackling sound, not sure if it's the machine or the filament being destroyed.
    I've oiled the inside of the extruder, I've oiled the cog, the heat-sink fan is working...
    What could possibly be wrong. It's extremely disappointing.
    This is my second full day troubleshooting issues.

P.S. The Mattercontrol program constantly freezes, and often, before freezing the "Set" temperature flashes rapidly between 0C and 210C..

15. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I opened up the assembly after no more filament came out, and this is what I've found. It appears the cog is shoving in the filament, but the heated extruder isn't taking it... Not sure what the deal is. I've taken all sizes of wire, heated them until molten red, and cleaned out the extruder. Yet still, something isn't right..

[​IMG]

16. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

The filament is clogging the tip of the brass nozzle. When I feed it through by hand, it first comes out fine, then slowly the liquid filament gets thinner and thinner until I can no longer push it through. Does anyone have any tips for fixing this?

17. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I took apart the extruder for the seventh time. Unfortunately, the seemingly unremovable mount melted onto the extruder while I was cleaning it out...

#17 Psychophoria, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  18. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Well. Printing is VERY out of wack.. Check this out......
    This is how it should look.
    [​IMG]

This is how mine looks. (So far.)

[​IMG]

19. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I've attached a video of where the printer decided to malfunction. But honestly, it looked like during the entire print it was malfunctioning.
    I'm using the same settings as yesterday, where I had multiple successful prints. (I show a blue egg at the end of the video, which is nearly indestructible and smooth.)
    This print I attempted looked like someone weaved the thing together, and it was unbelievably brittle.
    I did use different color filament, from a different brand, but honestly.. There's something else going on.
    I think there's something wrong with this machine... I want to shoot myself after spending two FULL days on this.

I have a feeling it's going back to where it came from on Monday.

20. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Uninstalled program software, removed all traces of it, reinstalled. Tried original Firmware, and the latest V3... No improvement. I printed the Hollow Pyramid yesterday, which turned out smooth and strong. Just tried printing after complete reinstall, and it still uncontrollably re-scales the Z axis of the model...
    There are NO threads of the re-scaling of objects, and this is getting well beyond my league.
    At first I really thought this was going to be a great printer. Yet, after a few hours, I realized there were some serious build quality issues and possible software problems.