1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing ABS with Robo R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Psychophoria, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Good afternoon everyone.
    I do not currently have a 3D printer, although, I'm extremely close to purchasing the Robo 3D.
    The only thing holding me back is the capability to print with ABS plastics.
    I feel that compared to the Flash Forge, the Robo has many advantages. (Build area, quality, price, etc.)
    The one thing the Robo doesn't have that the Flash Forge does is an enclosure, which from what I've learned, is very crucial to printing ABS.
    Does anyone have any experience with printing ABS on the Robo R1?
    I've seen online people have created enclosures for the Robo R1, and I've seen one individual also sells his own enclosure for the unit.
    Any information that will settle my mind would be very helpful, and much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

It prints ABS just fine, but not large parts. Large pieces will warp up on the ends.

I printed this in ABS on buildTak material on my robo3d I had a little warping on the corners.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Printing with a raft can help a little, but it warps even on a raft. I do not have the enclosure.

I don't use ABS much anymore though its too finicky. PETG ( I use ESUN brand ) prints way better/easier and doesn't warp..so that is what I have been using. And it has a higher melting point thatn PLA and is not brittle like PLA. I don't see the need for ABS anymore really.

3. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Thanks a lot for the response.
    How would I be able to prevent that warping?
    If I had an enclosure, with the unit in the warm room, would it still warp?
    Thanks again.

4. KTMDirtFace

I still get warping in a fully enclosed Replicator 2 that has been modified to have a headed bed. So I don't know.. ABS is annoying.

5. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Wow. That's very surprising..
    It's a bit concerning though, because the main material I'm hoping to print is ABS.
    I realize there are other materials that may be easier to print, but ABS has an engineering grade of strength I need.

#5 Psychophoria, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  6. KTMDirtFace

There is lots of other materials with ABS strength minus the annoyances of printing in ABS.

I used to want to print ABS as well for the strenght. The only reason i use it now is because im trying to use up my leftover spools. I'm really liking PETG it prints at 235 deg. wont melt in the sun like PLA.. its way stronger than PLA as well..flexes before it breaks so its not super rigid which is a drawback sometimes.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Look at this chart:

http://www.taulman3d.com/how-to-choose.html

ABS is not even a close 3rd for strength (almost the worst on this chart frankly). The one area that ABS does compare is higher temperature tolerance once printed (it has a decent Tg)* BUT even then there are a number of other, better performing filaments that I use.

*(The Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) is one of the most important properties of any filament and is the temperature region where the polymer transitions from a hard, glassy material to a soft, rubbery material.)

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The thing we are trying to say is that your ABS prints look good (for ABS) and extremely good for ABS w/o a heated chamber.
    Don't think your choices are only PLA or ABS :)

9. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Thanks for the chart and information.
    I just need a very strong material for the items I'd like to print.
    Are the alternative, high strength materials much more expensive than ABS?
    Once again, I've just started looking into 3D printing in my free time the last month or so.
    I really appreciate the guidance and help.

10. KTMDirtFace

11. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Just looked up some videos and read some information on the PETG. Amazing. What a great filament. Stronger than ABS, and it's not as temperamental as ABS.
    Does PETG require an enclosure?
    Does anyone have PETG printing experience?

12. KTMDirtFace

PETG doesn't need an enclosure, it prints easy like PLA does. Though it prints at a higher temp. I print it at 235 degrees. ( PLA I print at 200ish ). I doesn't really need a cooling fan( PLA Does ) either, though sometimes I turn it on.

I printed this halo helmet in Orange ESUN PETG.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/halo-helmet.7069/

13. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Wow. Run into any issues whilst printing?
    Looks like my issues here are solved.
    I've ordered the Robo 3D R1 off of Amazon, and it should arrive in the next few days.
    Christmas present to myself LOL.

14. KTMDirtFace

Not really. the PETG oozes a bit compared to ABS/PLA. so sometimes I get a glob buildup on the nozzle. Still working on figuring out how to reduce that. Hasn't been a big problem though.

15. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

One reason I like ABS is the ability to cold vapor-smooth it.

As far as I know, there's no other commonly available plastic in a range of colors that can be easily smoothed like ABS. If someone can prove me wrong, please do so... :)

16. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

According to Amazon, PETG filament is only $3-4 more than ABS spools. It's also available in every color that ABS is available in, at least from what I've noticed. Seems like the miracle filament in my case.

17. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

Yes, but I can't use a commonly available and somewhat non-toxic chemical to smooth it and make a print that has no perceptible layer ridges.

Am I wrong?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope. Nothing vapor polishes like ABS. If you absolutely need that then you are stuck with ABS.

However, if the printer is dialed in it is hard to see layer lines :)
    This is PLA untouched after printing. With other filaments it can be harder still.

20151221_083803.jpg

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am going to offer a different source for eSUN PETG, it might work out about $1.00 cheaper per spool and the service is great. INTSERVO.COM is the US distributer of eSUN filaments, he offers free shipping over $60.00. If you buy three spools at a time it negates Amazon Prime free shipping. He always includes a sample of something in the box with your order. Since I buy several spools of eSUN at a time, unless I need it in two days, I now buy from INTSERVO direct. Of course since he is based in Raleigh, NC, I get it in two days anyway.

If you live in a city that has a Microcenter computer store, they have their house brand PETG that is a rebranded eSUN and they are cheaper than Amazon and you can walk in and pick it up the same day (Sadly they do not ship 3D printers or supplies).

Vapor polishing is just in the domain of ABS, PLA and most other filaments just turn rubbery and do not actually polish. The other alternative is to get or make a vibratory drum polisher, it will help smooth the features while not exactly providing a shiney finish to your parts. Here is a blog by a gentleman who has some great designs and done quite a few experiments with vibratory tumbler polishing.

http://www.whirlinglight.com/?s=tumbler&submit=Search

As a side note, I think a vibratory tumbler will be my next project after the new years rolls in.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can confirm the tumbler polish works a charm on the metallic filaments.