1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing hole for tapping

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JWW, Jan 22, 2016.

1. JWW

JWW Member

1. If I printed this object in PLA and needed (3) 1/4-20 threaded holes as shown, and (2) non-threaded holes approximately 1/8" in diameter (for pressed pins) how would you accomplish that. If this was aluminum or steel the drill size for a tap would be 13/64".

2. Is there a way to "beef up" the cross sectional area around the circumference of ALL the holes in the model itself? I don't want to print this completely solid.

3. How much should I under size the printed holes?

4. Is the over hang on the left and right going to be a problem from a printing perspective? If so, is it solvable?

Afterwards I will do some destruction testing on it, braking forces and maybe even some frozen type temps. I believe Polylactic acid has a crystallization temperature but varies with its purity.

Thanks in advance (if you are in the know),
    -JW:

2016-01-22_14-03-26.jpg

#1 JWW, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

for #2

Every slicer is different.
    You might want to ping this off of the slicer forum for whichever slicer you use.

I could probably figure out how to do in Simplify3D but you might not be using that*.

For #3 it varies by filament type since some expand and others contract when printed.

For #4 you can vary how it is positioned, but certainly the way it is shown even if that overhang was an issue I'd let Simplify3D generate the supports and pop them out.

*and if you are then their support folks would be the ideal candidate :)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

also for the sizing of holes some filament types are not identical (not everyone's PLA is the same) so a bit of experimentation is required. I tend to stick with the same suppliers for consistency.

4. JWW

JWW Member

I am using ROBO PLA filament. I've never used a Slicer. I use MatterControl and it's been printing flawlessly so far (actually impressive). I also haven't played with shell, infill or generated any supports before.

What is the Slicer forum called?

-JWW:

#4 JWW, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

MatterControl is a host application for a slicer. you could ask in their forums, matterhackers.com.
    1. If I need absolutely precise holes, I design the part a bit with holes a bit undersized and drill to the proper size.
    2. More perimeters is the only real way to do this in the current level of slicer technology
    3. Just enough for the drill bit to shave the hole to the proper diameter
    4. As previously mentioned, print with support everywhere enabled

6. JWW

JWW Member

2016-01-22_17-54-57.jpg Thanks,

So ... there's no way of doing something like this (in yellow) and have it print. Printing the solid cylinders inside the model with a hole to give it some meat.

7. JWW

JWW Member

1a.jpg 2a.jpg DSC_1460.jpg aDSC_1464.jpg aDSC_1463.jpg So I gave this a shot but I didn't have supports configured correctly. I didn't save after I selected generate. Thanks to someone off-line via email educating me. I was totally impressed with the print up until it wasn't able to print the overhang. Now that I understand what I was doing wrong any suggestion on the settings I should use to lessen the supports, have it print that "area" well with the minimum amount clean up? It "seems" to me there would be a lot of clean up necessary with my current settings. I also am posting of few pics of the print. Being new to 3D printing I am quite impressed.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1) For 1/4"-20 threading you can actually print the threading into the part and not need to tap it at all. If you want to tap it either increase the perimeters or use a 2 body trick
    2) For a 2 body essentially you have 2 shapes. The ring you want to tap into being one piece and everything around it as another in the same STL file, like so:
    upload_2016-1-25_14-41-41.png

For this I chose 3 perimeters, so that's a total of 6 for it to go around both sides, thus that's 2.4mm thick. Adjust based on the number of perimeters.
    upload_2016-1-25_14-41-59.png

This gives you a total of 9 max perimeters around the circle, 6 for the piece you made and 3 surrounding it. This will give you ample material to tap into without needing to use either a super high perimeter thickness or high infill

2) yes the overhang is a problem. You'd either need to print with support, rotate the model so that face is on the build plate, or add a piece of material on the ends to do a bridge

9. JWW

JWW Member

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. Questions, that's what I thought I tried to do in my model. I drew TWO cylinders, one for taping the other to beef up the taping? Two cylinders instead of a square and a cylinder as you suggested? Maybe I forgot to union them or something.

I did try putting some supports in but the clean up on the top size wasn't that great, pics below. I only printed a "small section" of the overall model. Doing so could of created some other problems too since the model was so small therefore retaining the heat more. At least you can see what I am talking about on the "supports" in the second image below. The first images the supports cleaned up acceptable, in the second image they did not. aDSC_1475.jpg aDSC_1476.jpg aDSC_1470.jpg aDSC_1471.jpg

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The square can be any shape you want. You could do 2 concentric rings if you wanted but it's a bit unecessary as you won't be tapping into that much of the material.

The thing you need to make sure is to not merge the geometry. You should be able look at the mesh and see a division between the two.

Supports with PLA can be a real pain. Simplify3D does a good job but can still leave some ugliness. I usually just get some files and grind it down by hand.

Where are the stresses going to be on your part? Do you absolutely need to print in that orientation?

11. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks, I'll give that a shot next time I print it. I normally machine these out of aluminum, just wanted to print a similar prototype model is all. I figured a bull barrel type approach would work on the tap scenario. Ignoring stress for now, this seemed to be the best configuration to print it. Are you suggesting this?

I wonder if I could simply design support in the modeling program to begin with.

-JW:

2016-01-26_14-07-39.jpg

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Depends on what you are modelling with, but almost certainly the answer is 'yes, you could'.

We used to, it works fine. Once we switched to Simplify3D I think I have actually done that again, maybe once on a really complex piece that I did not want to be picking at :)

13. JWW

JWW Member

PLA ... I didn't think it would be able to print the arc without support. I might look into Simplify3D someday but right now the default is working fine for my intended purposes.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the arc is gradual then it will totally work with out supports.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Printing with a smaller layer height also helps with that.
    I'd still print that with support to get a nicer finish, but should break away cleaner

16. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Also, sometimes when i'm putting screw holes in prints, I print them a tiny bit small and then heat my screw up and it self threads it in when the screw is hot.