1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Printing issues - warping & no supports?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Todd Lawrence, May 12, 2017.

1. Todd Lawrence

Todd Lawrence New Member

Hello folks,

Having an issue while trying to print a basic box. When I attempt to print the box with the large surface down the material appears to pull up at the at the edges almost like the cooling plastic (pla) pulls the edges up from the heated bed? see in the first couple photos. I then attempted to print the same item with the thickest side aligned with the bed. This appeared to solve the issue with the PLA pulling up at the edges, however the slicing software (matter control) did not appear the understand how to print support structures for the upper side, which resulted in the first few layers simply hanging down/drooping? second set of photos.
    IMG_4804.jpg IMG_4803.jpg IMG_4806.jpg IMG_4807.jpg

any suggestion on where I am going wrong?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Todd Lawrence Need more info, filament type, slicer settings, etc.

3. Todd Lawrence

Todd Lawrence New Member

using the matter control "medium" quality setting. Fill density: .25%, Infill overlap .06, Bed Temp: 50, extruder temp 210. The filament was black PLA the I purchased from E-Bay which could simply be the problem.

thanks!

-t

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If the bed wasn't super clean then maybe adding some hairspray will help adhesion.

Geof likes this.
  5. Todd Lawrence

Todd Lawrence New Member

Hey folks,

thanks for the suggestions.. I did clean the bed with isopropyl alcohol and used hairspray. I am going to try printing the object using the blue PLA filament that came with the ROBO printer and see if I get the same results.

I am however confused about the fact that when I printed the object on it's side, with one of the flat surfaces on the top, matter control seemed to have no idea on making any kind of support structure for the top side - maybe this is normal? it did make support structures for the small filleted edges but nothing whatsoever for the 4" "ceiling" top? bizarre?

-todd

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

None of the free slicers are terrific at generating good supports, but some are OK.

Nope, just MatterControl :)

7. Todd Lawrence

Todd Lawrence New Member

Anyone have a cura setup compatible with the R1+ maybe I will give that a try

-t