1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printing using ABS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dbeal, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Relay? Not driven by the PWM signal right?

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Ziggy knows more about this than me, he's the electronic guru. But from what I gather the SSR uses the signal from the ramps board to trigger power to the bed directly from the PSU. The circuit also includes a 15 amp fuse for safety. It was an idea he was toying with a few months ago but he said above he's taken a slightly different approach now.

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I just replaced the MOSFET with a beefier one with a lower Ron (resistance in the on state) and it seems to work just fine at maintaining 110C. I also replaced the polyfuse. These are cheap to do but you just need to be careful in soldering. I can find the part numbers if you are interested.

I have a duct on my print fan and it's more local cooling may help the bed maintain the temperature.

4. Dbeal

Dbeal Active Member

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Yes those are the parts. I swapped them in almost a year ago. Only the larger Polyfuse, F2 should be replaced. Be careful soldering and make sure you cut the leads before removing the parts to keep the temperature down so you don't damage the traces.

3 people like this.
  6. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Way back when there's was a frequent poster on here that was selling enclosures for the Robo to aid in the printing of abs (minimize draft, constant head etc). Anyone know who this was and if the chambers actually worked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

8. Dbeal

Dbeal Active Member

9. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Any chance of a user review on this item :)

10. Dbeal

Dbeal Active Member

Look up Mike Kelly's printer on the forms.

I want one an Safety enclosure myself.

#30 Dbeal, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  11. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Yeah I'm there now and from what I'm reading it's more of a "safety enclosure" than a sealed chamber for printing and. Makes sense really, Ya wouldn't wanna cook the robots hardware within an enclosure

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I think it is fine given how the base is not enclosed. As long as you have a fan on in there (the base of the printer) it shouldn't affect the RAMPS/Arduino.
    Not sure to what extent it will help (without an actual heated chamber ABS will still be somewhat of an issue) but it absolutely will help. Perhaps a lot.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's definitely a sealed chamber. It creates a tight seal against the side of the printer. We just can't call it a heated enclosure for legal reasons.

The most sensitive part of the printer internals is the stepper motors. Those can handle around 80C operating temperature. This would require an external heater to get above 60C, which is about the ambient you see printing ABS.

The stuff under the printer is fine, just be sure it's getting sufficient airflow for the fans.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.