1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Printing with a SD-card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jokerk, Dec 11, 2014.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I pull the plug since some programs will fire off a stop command when you exit/disconnect.

2. fredm

fredm Member

didnt work.
    when I exported the file as g code I renamed it auto0.g
    when this attempt to print failed I tried again.

I noticed the computer automatically added .gcode.
    so the file name became auto0.g.gcode

when I tried to rename it auto0.g it said the file might become unstable if I change the extension.

another curious thing is that the tutorial from robo3d said remove the card from the computer and insert into the printer. but then it said to click que and load files from sd card....after it had been removed????

it really should be this difficult to print from the sd card.
    somebody please point out what I am doing wrong

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Regardless of what the computer operating system tells you the file must be named that way or it will NOT autoprint.

I also never used the integrated SD card reader for the RAMPS, rather all of mine have an LCD controller (which has an SD card reader on it) and those work without the need for a computer.

Maybe someone else has used the stock reader this way and can add some hints, but you must have it named correctly for starters. That is not optional. The firmware is looking for that specific filename: auto0.g
    No other name will work.

4. fredm

fredm Member

I ignored the warning and renamed it. but the print stopped as soon as I unplugged the computer.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe if you start hooked up you must stay hooked up. According to the robo firmware page you move you axis away from the home switches pop in your sd card and tap the x home button once and it should start. Thats disconnected from your computer all togather start to finish

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

Thats assuming you have a robo r1+ with the new firmware (v2)

6. fredm

fredm Member

I have the robo 3d r1 +
    current build 1.5.06642
    it says the application is up to date.

dont know what firmware version

what do they mean by all motors disengaged? I clicked release button under "movement"
    followed the rest of the instruction and it didnt work

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Tgere should ve a button that says disengage servos(or motors) or release or something of the sort that lets you move the bed and extruder with your hands. Then put the extruder in the middle and pull the bed towards the robo lettering. Then if you have the gcode saved as they instructed and click the x endstop (switch on the left) it should start printing. I havnt tried it just relaying their instructions. I have an lcd controller and i print with that :)

8. fredm

fredm Member

regarding the gcode" saved as they instructed":
    it just says add a "robo.gcode"to the sd card I assumed that meant ,as it is exported from the program.

does that mean I rename the file that exactly?
    not auto0.g not whatever the program exports it as
    what the heck! I am confused.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe your stl file that geta put on the sd card needs to be named robo.gcode or however they put it in those instructions i linked. hang in there buddy im confused to as never having done it. Its totally new with the new firmware. Give it a shot and lets see what happens

10. fredm

fredm Member

will give it a try in the am

but dosent the stl file need to be exported as g code, then renamed.

I am seriously considering returning the printer. as i understand things I have just 10 days. so I need to determine if there is a problem with this printer.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

When you export to save the g code to the sd card you should be able to name it what you want. The printer is very good in my opinion. All printers have a huge learning cypress. Honestly I'd pick up a lcd controller buddy. It's top 5 best things I've done to my robo.

Save g code anyway you want to ad card. Put the card in the controller...scroll to print from sad click the file and off to the awesome.

12. fredm

fredm Member

i was looking at the reprap lcd controller last night.
    watched an installation tutorial. seemed easy enough.

however the next video from the same guy ,6 days later, was installing a fan. apparently the additional draw of the lcd was causing the ramps to get hot enough to shut down the printer
    I really dont want to cause new problems by trying to resolve other problems.
    was going to ask about this. but I want to get the printer to work as it is supposed to with the sd card first.

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Please note that Robo never removed the ability to execute and print automatically a file called auto0.gcode. This has been built into the Marlin firmware. They did add, rather crudely, the ability to auto execute robo0.gcode. It is meant to start printing as soon as the printer is powered up and recognizes the SD card. If you have an LCD controller, whether a Full Graphics or not you can actually print any gcode file regardless of how it is named, directly from the menus. Why make it harder on yourself than it needs to be. If all you want to do is start a print from the SD card, get a controller, either cheap direct from China or from Amazon in N.A. or from any of the vendors that frequent this forum. It will be infinitely easier than trying to do all this automatic printing.

There is not one single person on this forum that has ever regretted buying an LCD controller and most that have one will tell you it should be one of the first, if not the number one, accessory to buy (even before more filament).

14. fredm

fredm Member

Yes, i know you are right about the controller.
    But after spending the $800 , i 'd like to see it perform as it should , knowing everything is in working order, before any upgrades.
    Its also bothering me i cant figure out what i am doing wrong. Just the way i am, i guess

15. fredm

fredm Member

You mentioned full graphicso I just found that my firmware is robo1plus v1.

where do i get v2
    looked on robos website under software but just find the matter control program.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@fredm My suggestion is not to upgrade to V2, there is no need and Robo added code that was not clean. It does not add any additional functionality to your Robo as it is still the very same Marlin 1.0.0.

I am sure people like @daniel871 will concur.

There is no need to change firmware for LCD controllers. The 2004 and XXL (same controller except for actual LCD size) needs no changes to firmware. The Full Graphics controller just needs a two line change to the source, a recompile and reupload to make work. There are literally 10's of posts that explain the procedure on this forum.

17. fredm

fredm Member

so the xxl is plug and play. thats the one I have been looking into.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you insist on trying to get automatically started printing to work then you have to understand how Windows works and the SD card within Marlin.

Here are some simple steps (not inclusive) using Windows 10 as a base.
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Select View and make sure you are on Details in the Layout section
    3. Also in the View menu select the checkbox that says File Name Extensions in the Show/hide section
    Now you will be able to see and manipulate the filename and actually see what you are doing and not guessing
    1. Save your gcode file from your preferred slicer
    2. Navigate in File Explorer to the directory you saved the file to
    3. Rename it auto0.gcode
      Make sure it is only auto0.gcode, all lowercase
    4. Copy the file to your SD card.
    5. Disconnect your printer from your PC then insert the SD card
    It should autostart printing as soon as the SD card is recognized, you might have to power cycle your printer if it doesn't start up automatically.

To be honest this is simply too much work to do on any type of regular basis and was not intended by the Marlin developers to be a regularly used feature. But if you insist.

Yes the XXL is plug and play

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  19. fredm

fredm Member

well, I tried again and still doesnt work. i even removed the bottom plate to see if there was a loose connection or visible damage. also tried a different sd card.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think if it were me at this point id put in a parts request for a new card reader. If you plan on switching to a controller youll be ditching that anyway.