1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problem with extruder fan

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

We received our ROBO R1 printer today. It has a fan that it looks like it goes in front of the extruder. It was hanging down when we unboxed the equipment. I tried to push the fan and housing back onto the extruder's heat sink, I think that is where it fell from, but it won't stay in place. There are only 2 screws that hold the fan to the part the I think snaps onto the heat sink.
    1. Is there a picture that shows how this fan is suppose to attach to the heat sink
    2. If this part is defective where or how can I get a new part.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

[​IMG]

What part?

3. Robert Choban

4. Robert Choban

Mike thank for the response, do you know where I can get the part that connects to the fan and slides on to the extruder heat sink. Does this snap in place on the heat sink or just slides onto the heat sink. Also do you know what makes this fan turn on.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

6. Robert Choban

7. Robert Choban

Can this part be printed out in pla or do I need abs

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

PLA is fine

2 people like this.
  9. Robert Choban

Mike, just to be clear, when I turn on the printer the extruder fan should start working, is tis correct

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes. The fan should be connected to a 12v source that is activate with the power supply

2 people like this.
  11. Robert Choban

Mike, I think I have a problem with the fan. It is not coming on when the unit is powered up. Does the Extruder have to heat before the fan comes on. Is there a way to check current or voltage at the fan to see if it is getting current. The fan and wiring looks pretty enclosed. Could the fan have become unplugged from wherever it plugs into. Does that fan plug into the Ramps card if yes where on the card, I have the diagram of the RepRap Arduino Mega Pololu Shield 1.4.

Thanks for all your help, I have a few more question.

1. What is the best way to contact ROBO to get a replacement part for the fan and the fan housing that connects to the heat sink, I was hoping a friend could print it, but his printer is not working.
    2. The new ROBO R1 has a bottom panel that prevents me from looking at the RAMPS board or the power supply, do you know if I can remove the bottom or are there components connected to the bottom panel, looks like it has more than just 4 screws. Also is there a trick to turning the unit on it's side to get to the bottom, I worried about damaging the glass plate or the bed that moves back and forth.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I do not believe they have enabled any control method on the fan. It is my understanding that the fan is still always on. There is a way of doing it based on temperature, but I haven't heard this being the case. I tend to not know as much as you'd think.

The fan is wired in one of two places:
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Use this form for requesting a new part: http://www.robo3dprinter.com/pages/replacement-part-request

You should have no problem removing the bottom panel. I usually just hold the glass plate up when I put the printer on it's side. Or do it on the left or right so the bed doesn't move

13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Tape a strip of painters tape across each side of the bed and the case sides to prevent it from sliding around. I don't have the magnetically attached bed so I'm not sure how easily it can pop off of the rails but be careful with it. Make slide the X carriage to the opposite of the side from the one you will lift up. For future use after you get it working this can be useful to lock the X carriage for transport: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:280356

Just to make sure you understand how it works - that hot end fan keeps the top heat sink section of the extruder cool so the filament does not melt until it gets to the lower section with the heater and nozzle. The fan must be attached and running continuously or the hot end will likely jamb up with melted plastic.

#13 SteveC, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  14. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

When you take the bottom panel off can you post a photo of it and the attachment points? I have the old version without the panel and want to add one. I was thinking of epoxying some tapped tabs in the corners to screw into. My son and I transport the printer a lot to teach classes and it would be nice not to have it's guts exposed.

15. JayT

JayT Member

Just went to start a print, smelled some electrical smell and upon closer inspection realized my heatsink fan is no longer working either (that would explain some of the globs I have been getting); if it's not one thing with this printer it really is another lol.
    Really hoping I can get a replacement in time to print out some things for halloween....

#15 JayT, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  16. RokleM

RokleM Member

FYI, on the R1, it's on the power supply on the right. Ironically if you ask for a replacement they send you a fan with long wires that are about 6" too short to reach, so you have to cut/solder it anyway.

By default, it only uses two screws also, which was part of my issue with an incredibly loud fan (unbalance) and vibration. If you use thin headed screws, you can put for in instead which is a much better solution.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Love my E3D :)

Seems like we have had a few different issues with bits not working on some of the Hexagon units.
    Not sure if this is generic issue or one tied directly to Robo.

Replace the fan. It is not expensive.

18. JayT

JayT Member

No, of course not; It's a minor detail, but still something that adds up with the rest of the issues.
    I'm not complaining though; I am actually quite happy to have something so cool to tinker with.
    I learn a lot along the way, and that makes it all worthwhile to me.

Stupid fan though lol.

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, the issues like this we see popping up more are frustrating. More so when you are just getting started since you are not used to troubleshooting the printer.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've gone through probably 20 fans so far

I freaking hate fans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.