1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problem with the X axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael Stone, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

I figured I should give a last update to close out this thread. I messaged Mike from the Robo team, and he said to send in the stepper. I went to remove it, and found that the green wire going out of it had been damaged/crushed, and broke in two while I was removing the motor.

I repaired the wire, but once I got that done I ran into other issues. The flow from the print nozzle wasn't stable, although I could turn the gear by hand and it would work fine. After about an hour of trying to troubleshoot the flow issue, the X axis started acting up again.... so I'm guessing more than 1 wire was damaged. (And the wires could have been shipped to them that way.)

Since I have one printer from them that works fine, I asked Mike if I could just return this one and have them fix it or send me a different one, and he said yes. So they will look at it and see what the issues are.

2. BjG

BjG Member

I just had the exact same problem. (intermittent wobbeling x-axis, sometimes it works)

The fault here was the cable/plug

i inspected the cables for breaks and while touching the lower part of the cablet (in the vicinity of the mega/driver board) the x-axis made very small movements :D

the pin was not fully inserted into the plug, this was causing intermittent errors (i could see the end of the pin sticking out)

also this generated heat and partially melted the plug

as i see it / imho there are several possible causes:

1. while extending the x-axis cable it the plug was not assembled correctly

2. due to the fact that the x-axis cable is not secured at the bottom of the printer it is possible that the printers motion has "wiggled" the pin loose

3. shaky transportation caused the pin to "unsettle"

i've since secured the bottom end of x-axis cable making sure that the x-axis can move all the way to the top

i suggest robo3d do the same for the rest of their printers.

also i've noticed that the mains+switch (110/220 v) are "only" soldered on the power plug, i would suggest using heat shrink tubing on these connection, this ensures a better mechanical (shake proof) connection and protects users better against shock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

as i see it / imho there are several possible causes:

1. while extending the x-axis cable it the plug was not assembled correctly
    MOST LIKELY THE CAUSE, IMPROPER CRIMPING OR NOT INSERTING THE PIN TILL IT LOCKS IN TO PLACE. OR LOCKING TAB IS BENT OR BROKE.

2. due to the fact that the x-axis cable is not secured at the bottom of the printer it is possible that the printers motion has "wiggled" the pin loose
    UNLIKELY ONCE THE PIN IS IN LOCKED IN PLACE YOU HAVE TO PHYSICALLY UNLOCK THE PIN FOR IT TO COME OUT.

3. shaky transportation caused the pin to "unsettle"

UNLIKELY ONCE THE PIN IS IN LOCKED IN PLACE YOU HAVE TO PHYSICALLY UNLOCK THE PIN FOR IT TO COME OUT.

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

also i've noticed that the mains+switch (110/220 v) are "only" soldered on the power plug, i would suggest using heat shrink tubing on these connection, this ensures a better mechanical (shake proof) connection and protects users better against shock.

heat shrink only helps to insulate the terminals. It will do nothing to give you shake proof connection. tie downs at various points will minimize shaking but I've never seen any solder terminal(s) come undone due to shaking, and the robo printer will never have that much shaking to cause soldering to come undone.

5. polylac

polylac New Member

@Cambo3D

I think it's great that your're so active on this forum. But honestly, CAPSLOCK and colours won't make something more true or in any way better. It's just annoying to read and also inpolite. So please...

6. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

@polylac ageed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.