1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Programs think hot end is heated when it isn't

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Senator1891, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So that high if temp one of a few things are the cause

1. Shorted thermistor/bad thermistor or wiring

2. Bad ramps

3.least likely arduino failure

2. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Should I buy a new hotend? That would replace the thermistor entirely, right?
    Also, how would I identify bad ramps?

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Best way to rule the thermistor out is to check it with a multimeter If you have one should read at or near 100k resistance

4. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

I got a multimeter...
    And I have no idea what these readings mean or if I am testing correctly. I placed both positive and negative lead on the thermistor and at first the reading was 85 or 70, and then quickly dropped to 10, and continually dwindled down to around 0.2-0.1 and hovered around there. Pictures are hopefully acceptable...Just wanted to upload one my wife took while the resistance looked like 2.4, but it still dropped to 0.1-0.2.

Attached Files:

5. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

So I pulled out the wires from the coppery piece and have started putting the test leads against the appropriately colored wire at the end. Once I do this I am getting readings in the 290's and they are consistently around there. Is this the appropriate way to test the thermistor?

Attached Files:

6. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Oddly enough when I turn the printer on and do the same thing I can't get anything other than 0.0

7. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

I read this article which seems to indicate the Arduino board (Is the mega 2560 considered the RAMPS, or is the board on top of the mega 2560 considered the RAMPS?). http://kevinrye.net/index_files/replacing_the_arduino_and_thermistor_in_my_robo3dr1.php
    Anyways, I found some cheaper parts on amazon and when I have some money I will be ordering some new thermistors along with some new wires, as well as the two boards and trying this out.
    Please still let me know if I used the multimeter correctly as I wills till need that knowledge

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hi there. The bead should not have come out of the brass housing/tube, I'm betting that was your issue. yes it sounds like your testing correctly and that you in fact have at least a bad thermistor. To test you do exactly what you did, at the black connector or anywhere you can get good contact you check the resistance (typically 92-100k is a good one) alot less or alot more and it will not work correctly (or maybe at all). If this is an R1+ I can have you a thermistor in the mail tomorrow (I have an extra one I never used) if your under warranty please contact Robo and they should remedy your issue with a replacement (if they send replacements I'd ask for the ramps/arduino as well just because...well you know, warranty :D )

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

I bought this one refurbished a couple of years ago and it has been nothing but problems since. It seems to have the defining characteristics of the r1+, but I cannot say for certain.
    The bead came out because I was trying to pull the entire thing out and could not get any purchase on the brass tubing. That may be my bad. Learning curve. If I order new thermistors, what is the process of placing those in the brass tubing again? Are they naturally form filling with some sort of adhesive to keep them in there? Or do I need a special compound to get it to stay in the brass tubing?
    Tomorrow I plan on buying all of it, the wires, the thermistors, the two new boards, because I can get them on amazon for fairly cheap and the software side I don't have a problem with. I can do that just fine.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yup. THAT is the current Robo advantage. Parts are cheap.

The canister style thermistor for the hexagon you might have to get from Robo directly, but see if you can find one on Amazon.

E3D has now switched to that style or a similar one, but theirs is a different thermistor type which requires a firmware edit.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am also not real sure how much refurb goes into a refurb :)
    You are not the first refurn owner to pop up with issues.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it were me and you were stocking up on parts...I'd ditch the hexagon and go with a better hotend (and avoid the robo specific thermistors all togather). Not telling you what to do by anymeans at all...but I'd go that route if it were me. I have a suspicion that the R1 and R1+ will not have parts available soon. best to swap now and not be affected in my opinon :D

13. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

I was thinking about going with this hotend, as the videos for upgrading seem to think it is one of the better options out there and modifications to make it work are minimal.
    https://www.matterhackers.com/store...rcode=GAT9HR&gclid=CLqf3KONhtECFdm6wAodS7ACWw
    So in that case since this comes with it's own thermistor and i was already planning on getting one, this one seems to come with all the parts needed, I was thinking about getting this and the boards. Once I get all three I will let you know how things turn out, but it could be a while. Thank you both for all of your help.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

15. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Alright guys...bad news.
    I have the new e3d v6 installed, new arduino board and RAMPS. Even tried two separate thermistors with the new e3d v6 hotend...I am still getting the same issue. Where do I even go from here?

16. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Hang on.
    Followed the wires. The thermistor was connected to what the heating element should have been connected to. I connected them back to the appropriate wire and now the thermistor appears to be working? But the heating element jsut keeps raising in temp. It doesn't stop for anything...

17. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

I have to apologize guys...the heating element was conected to what the thermistor should have been connected to. The thermistor was connected to what may have been the fan? And the fan was connected to the heating element...Things are back in place...will try a test print here soon...

epj3, Rigmarol and Geof like this.