1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Programs think hot end is heated when it isn't

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Senator1891, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

PLA
    190 degree hot end
    60 degree bed temp
    Initial Layer .3mm
    Initial Layer Line Width 100
    Travel Speed 150.0 mm/s
    Bottom/top thickness 3mm
    Diameter 1.75
    Flow 100%
    Nozzle Size 0.4mm

I am using Cura and MatterControl and both of the programs think that my printer is 350 degrees when it isn't even warm. Because of this it won't warm up at all meaning I can't print. Possible reasons this could be happening? I thought it might be an issue with the motherboard, but wanted to run it by the forum before I just buy a new motherboard.

I put this printer down about a year ago because it was nothing but issues. Please let me know if there is any more info you need. I bout a robo 3d R1 refurbished, but when it came it had all the bells and whistles of the R1+. Still not sure which one I have.

Also, I think this temperature issue started when i replaced the hot end. Maybe I connected something inappropriately? Let me know your thoughts.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bad thermistor or bad wiring to the thermistor.
    On rare occasions it can be a bad RAMPS board (but that is not common).

If you replaced the hotend then I am leaning towards a bad connection or a damaged thermistor.
    Sanity check all of the connections. No shorted or open-circuit connections (one makes it read really high and the other really low).

Senator1891 likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

shorted= high, open = 0 reading :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Fair enough. Do either of you have any guides or useful videos that might show me how to check/replace any of these? The thermistor is on the hot end itself usually, right?

If I buy an entire new hotend do either of you have suggestions?

5. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

I unfortunately don't fully understand what you are saying here.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A thermistor is a resistor.
    A resistor that changes its resistance as it gets hot and cold

When it is a dead short circuit it will read MAX TEMP that the printer firmware is set to.
    When it is open circuit (two wires not touching) then it will read zero degrees.

Given your symptoms it is shorted. You accidentally have the leads to the thermistor touching each other or ground somewhere.

7. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Got it, so most likely a dead short circuit. In this case should I just buy another new hot end? I think the thermistor on the one I got was glued into a hole and I doubt I could get it out. Do you have any suggestions? The last one I bought may have just been the cheapest one on amazon or something. It has been a while.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You would be better off tracing the wires and simply making them not touch :)
    Which hotend are you using?

9. Electonic

Electonic Member

I messed up a print, and it somehow caught the thermistor wire and pulled it loose. I had to ask Robo for a replacement thermistor(Free with warranty, except shipping), which I got within a week, and I used this: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80335-Muffler-Tailpipe-Sealer/dp/B000BOAZM8 (except I found it at an auto parts store in my town, and my town is small) to hold it in place. It has a resistance of 2000 degrees F.(That is just under 1100 C).

My point is, is that even if it is the thermistor itself, and not the wiring, its not a gigantic huge mess.

Good luck!
    -Eric

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

I am starting to doubt that I bought a new one. I checked my amazon history and didn't find anything. I wonder if I bought the stock robo 3d r1 hot end form a different site. Either way I think it should be the stock part. I will have to check after work.

11. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Thank you. I will take this into account, but I know very little about any of this part of 3d printing (Thermistors and what not) so hopefully I don't break anything else in the process.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Its not so bad. take pictures of what you have questions about and someone will be able to answer (normally very fast) so ease your worry.

13. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Alright...here is my extruder. When I disconnect the padded red wires the temperature drops down to 0 degrees C. I tried swapping the red padded wire connections with the red and black connections and the thermometer worked, but it started skyrocketing in temperature, and started smoking, so I swapped them back and I am now stuck at 357.5 degrees again. So...What am I checking here? Am I checking the wires that lead into the extruder? Am I checking the motherboard?

Attached Files:

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So the padded wires are 12v dc current for the heater. The black and red thermistor wires just tell the board what temp its it. All your wanting to do is check connections to make sure they are seated correctly at the quick disconnects and the control boards (ramps/arduino)

15. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

So this is the only thing that looks suspect to me. One of the metal bits seems to be shorter than the other. Sorry for the poor picture, the camera was trying to focus on my fingers. : (

Attached Files:

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That shouldn't cause an issue. Anything else look out of the ordinary ? What temp do you show cold ?

17. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Here is the thermistor connected to the arduino board. Based on a diagram I pulled from a thread that Mark Tomlinson posted it appears they are in the right place...

Attached Files:

18. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

What do you mean what temp do I show cold? I have not heated the printer up, it says 357 degrees, and it won't actually heat up because it thinks it is at 357 degrees

19. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Here is the connection to the hot end itself
    IMG_20161220_192909.jpg IMG_20161220_192842.jpg

20. Senator1891

Senator1891 Member

Now that I look at it, is the connection in the hotend where the black wires are leading to not in all the way? It almost looks like it is sticking out a bit far