1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Question for engineer types, bed replacement.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 8, 2019.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am about to replace a printer bed with a piece of ATP 5 (MIC 6) Cast Tool Plate. The plate will be 16" square. It will only be supported at the very corners approximate 0.5" (1/2 inch) from each edge. The maximum unsupported weight (in the middle of the bed) is about 6 - 7 pounds (2 spools worth + plate glass + silicone heater). My choices start at 0.25" (1/4 inch) and proceed upwards in 0.0625" (1/16 inch) increments.

What is the thinnest size plate I should be able to use with minimal sagging?​

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just as an observation ...

We put 1/4" thick aluminum plate* on one of the R1s that was huge compared to what it started with (10" x 24") and you could put a concrete block on it with no bend. (Problem was, it was heavy and we had to go with a much beefier stepper for the Y.)

*in all fairness I am not sure what alloy, possibly T6

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I was thinking 1/4" was enough, just not sure. Since this bed only moves in the Z axis I don't think the weight is really much of an issue.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah, yeah with that style of movement it will almost certainly be fine at 0.25 inches

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

.25 is more than fine. If it were me I’d look at thinner but if that’s where it starts that’s what I’d get. You won’t have sag in that thick of a plate I’d think. Could always ask them for thinner and have them put a bend on the edge to add rigidity...but .25 I’d be happy

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Obviously for the Tronxy, my research has me guessing that it has a 400 x 400 mm heater that is 12V and only 180W. Even more pathetic than the R1 heater. I have seen reports that it takes over 10 minutes to reach 65°C. I am planning to go 24V and the bed heater will be either a 24V @ 480W or go 110V @ 600W.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

110v for the win

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

gmax runs a stand alone heat bed (kenova w/controller) and frankly its the best bed heater i've got. insanely fast heat up times and super stable. wish it was connected to be controlled by software at times, but man, wouldn't want to trade the performance

mark tomlinson likes this.