1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Quits Printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by slitke86, Apr 16, 2015.

1. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

So I just recently got an R1 and after my last printer turned out to be garbage. I decided to put this one through a test run, I printed a few thing totaling about 50 hours of print time, mostly abs, then I did a big job that took about 30 hours by its self. While id didn't watch every second of this job I did regularly check in on it and the print came out looking as good as everything else I printed. It ended up getting done in the middle of the night and I didn't have time to set up another job before work so I shut down the printer. When I got home and after clearing the bed and wiping it down, I use glue sticks, I set up another job and hit print. It went through the slicing process and started to print only to get about 2/3 of the way done with the raft and then it stopped. I tried three other files including one that came with the MatterControl software only to have it keep happening. It appears to also stop heating the bed and the extruder when it stops printing, I don't know if this is because it stops printing or it stops printing because of this. I can cancel the job but to be able to use the x,y, and z controls I have to disconnected and reconnect to the printer to be able to use them.

My computer is running Windows 8, I'm using Matter Hackers' Matter Control software (up to date), Firmware of the printer is up to date, and no mods or upgrades to the printer.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What errors are shown in the console window?
    I don't use matter control so I can't advise you on how to see the console/communications window.
    There should be one -- it will show the commands coming from the computer and the responses from the printer. Errors will show up there as well.

3. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

I'll check after work

4. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

It just kept saying there was an error and that the temperature needed reset and to use m999. I saved the print log, its attached below

Attached Files:

5. adrian2627

adrian2627 New Member

do you have a log that captures the moment the error kicks in? I just went through an M999 error fiasco and only way to know why you are triggering an M999 is to catch it when it happens and log it. Im using simplify3d on mine im not sure how you do it with mattercontrol.

6. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

7. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Tried changing fan settings with no change, here's what I caught at the times it happened

Attached Files:

8. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Also tried it on a different computer and it happened again

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the thread that @Stephen Capistron pointed you to above does not help then it is almost certainly a loose/bad thermistor (or one of the wires to it). Lots of threads on this here.

10. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Thanks, that's what I figured it was but wanted a second opinion.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Possibly a loose thermistor. The temp graph would be more telling about where the issue starts

12. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Couldn't find that in matter control

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah that's my biggest complaint with mattercontrol. You'd need to use a different software like cura or repetier host

14. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

I can see about one of those after work, but one of the big reasons I went with this printer was because of the mattercontrol touch tablet. I think it's a great idea and have been happy with it so far

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well then you just need to monitor the temperatures closely. It could be as simple as a loose connector.

The temp graph is one of the most useful features there is and it's shocking to me that matterhackers refuses to add it

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is one of the screens I most frequently keep up when printing.

17. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

I check all the connections and rotated the extruder 1/4 turn away from the print cooling fan. It seems to be working, I'm printing something right now and the temps appear to be staying within a stable range.
    I'll let this job finish and see if the problem is solved

18. duey2k

duey2k New Member

I am having the same issue, i have 2 new robo3d machines that are both inconsistant. Alot of this started happening with the most recent update of matter control.

2 different computes both win 8, 2 different roboR1 machines both randomly stop printing. Matter controll thinks it is still printing and the extruder is still on...

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. slitke86

slitke86 New Member

Okay, it printed some last night and has been going most of today without issue so I think my problem is solved. Thanks for the help.

duey2k, I run a cnc router at work and occasionally we get an update that causes it to go a little screwy and stop. With that program what we do is clear the catche data and restart the program, it might be worth a try for your printers