1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1 Kickstarter Printer Z axis buzzing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AdamKBloor, May 29, 2017.

1. AdamKBloor

AdamKBloor New Member

Hi,
    I have an R1 Kickstarter printer which I used a few times when I received it and it worked fine. Through various reasons (moving house etc) It's been sat in a box for a year or so. I've now got the space to use it again, so I've set it all up, updated to the latest firmware via mattercontrol, everything seems to be working fine aside from the Z axis. When homing the Z axis or using mattercontrol to move it up / down it starts to turn the motors then I get a buzzing sound as it stops moving, the buzzing sound stops after a few seconds or so and the motors then move back down slightly.
    I've swapped over the connections on the RAMPS board for the Z axis and it still does the same thing, if I remove one of the connections on the RAMPS board the single motor moves up and down via mattercontrol perfectly fine, no noise or issue. If I remove the single motor connection and connect the other, this also moves and works fine, but as soon as I have both connected I get the buzzing sound and it won't move the Z axis.
    So as both motors move and work fine when connected singularly I'm a bit lost as to what the problem is...

Anyone had this issue and resolved it or have an idea of what the problem is, I'd be grateful for any assistance,
    Thanks,.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is likely that the newer firmware may have acceleration values too high, it could be that tuning your stepper driver to provide a bit more current to the motor might fix it. I never had a beta R1 so this is just an educated guess.

AdamKBloor and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed, I'd start with tuning the stepper driver. I've had similar issues but not with a beta.

AdamKBloor likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

AFAIK you can't update the beta firmware via mattercontrol since it will treat it like an R1 (not the beta) and it IS different firmware.
    However if the Z endstops are working then that may be OK.

The buzzing as @WheresWaldo mentions is an issue with the stepper drivers or the stepper motors (usually just the driver not using enough current)

AdamKBloor and Geof like this.
  5. AdamKBloor

AdamKBloor New Member

Thanks for the quick response people.
    I've rolled back the firmware in mattercontrol and the Z Axis works now.
    Firmware showed as "RoBo 3D" (Original Firmware) - "ROBO3DR1V3" (what I upgraded it to)

Didn't realise the kickstarter edition wasn't the same as an R1, just thought the next incarnation was R1+

I'll leave the firmware alone, ha ha

Thanks

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Beta
    R1
    R1+
    C2
    R2

Those are the models and all of the firmware is at least slightly different for each

There have been no updates to the beta firmware in over 2 years.

AdamKBloor likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea the beta is an odd beast nowadays lol. Great thing is easily upgraded to the newer series

8. AdamKBloor

AdamKBloor New Member

Cool,
    Is there an upgrade faq/thread you could point me in the direction of for the Beta model?
    I know quite a few replaced the hotend. I did buy an LCD screen for it, ages n ages ago but never got around to installing it.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Really it's just auto level, 8 mm lead screws, and getting rid of the slide drawers. I believe all those mods are documented in the forum or on thingiverse

AdamKBloor likes this.
  10. AdamKBloor

AdamKBloor New Member

Thanks, I'll have a search :)

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Absolutely no probkwm. @mark tomlinson may have quick links, he has 2 use to be betas

mark tomlinson and AdamKBloor like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The differences between the Beta and R1 is:

-beta has drawer slide rails, R1 has linear rails
    -beta has a kludge of a bed (various combinations of wood, delrin and glass were shipped) R1 has a totally glass bed
    -beta had a J-Head hotend (and older one) R1 has the hexagon (all metal, not ceramic)

The difference between the R1 and R1+ is:
    R1+ uses leadscrews rather than threaded rods with couplers.

You can manually do all of those upgrades to a beta :)
    There are even files on thingiverse to help with parts needed.

AdamKBloor likes this.
  13. AdamKBloor

AdamKBloor New Member

Think I'll start with the Leadscrews upgrade as I always seem have problems with the z axis not always hitting the microswitch to stop it.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can switch to the autoleveling style of Z endstop switches and add autoleveling to it for very little expense.
    You need one new endstop switch (https://smile.amazon.com/Printer-Kossel-Switches-Endstop-3-feet/dp/B01NB9H4CY) and some wire :) Then print the two mounts for the Z endstops on the R1 (you can find them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:950690)
    Mount them and wire both in parallel back to the RAMPS. Replace the short Z rod nuts that hold the Z carriage with 1" long ones (if you had short one) you can get them here: https://smile.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Threaded-Rod-Coupling/dp/B008AXZQYY
    (shop around)

load the R1 firmware and you are good to go :)

AdamKBloor likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The endstops on the R1 and R1+ mount on the threaded rods up against the bottom of the crossbar. When the crossbar lifts up -- they trigger. Can get you pictures if you need.

AdamKBloor likes this.
  16. AdamKBloor

AdamKBloor New Member

Thanks a lot Mark, especially for the links so I don't get the wrong parts! :)
    I've ordered the end stops (I'm in the UK though, so had to order from China :/ ) and both mounts printed already now :)

If you wouldn't mind doing a photo of them installed on the crossbar, that would be very helpful, picture paints a thousand words and all that :)

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You don't need to order from Amazon at all, I just wanted to make sure you knew what parts to get. Many of these are cheaper from China :) Almost everything on the Robo is a standard RepRap printer part.

Geof likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof and AdamKBloor like this.
  19. AdamKBloor

AdamKBloor New Member

Thanks Mark,
    I'll have a read of that thread. :)
    If I was going to upgrade the hot end would you recommend the E3D Volcano ?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is probably the best hotend out there particularly if you do not need minute detail. You can still run a 0.4 nozzle on it, but it shines with larger ones.

AdamKBloor likes this.