1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Dimensions and Marketing

Discussion in 'Community Recomendations' started by Max Hewitt, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Max Hewitt

Max Hewitt New Member

Couldn't agree more with the marketing dimensions problems on the R2. In the field of R&D where dimensions are critical, a few millimeters makes all the difference. Overstating your working dimensions, even nominally for marketing purposes, just causes unhappy people. I expressly bought this R2 unit to replace my dying R1+.

I used the R1+ to print a field duty box that houses a RPi 7inch touch screen. So with a screen width of 193 mm and two 3mm walls on the box, I figure I'm golden.

But I'm not golden, am I? I'm actually out $1600 bucks on a tool I bought to perform a specific task that was within the published parameters of the tool. Argh!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The R1 had the advantage of a rectangular bed. I am not sure the R2 does :( I know the C2 isn't (totally square).

If you still have the R1+ -- resurrect that puppy. Easy and cheap to fix in most cases.

Geof likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

R2 dimensions are 196 mm square by 260 high. Does their marketing say something different?

4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Yup. The spec in inches seems to be rounded to the nearest integer which happens to be up, and the spec in mm is that "beautified" number converted, not the actual dimension.

Clipboard01.png

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The Z is actually bigger than their dimensions. I have never actually measured X & Y. I just accepted what was in the firmware. I will try to measure the actual dimensions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

To a standard customer the machine is aimed at the printing dimensions would be what the supplied software (i.e. Cura for Robo) comes set up for, which is 197x197x250. You would not expect to have to change it or use another solution to meet the advertised specs.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am testing the limits to see if they are actually 203 mm in X and Y in order to do that the firmware must be updated since software endstops are observed.

When Robo put out the R1 series they were overly generous with their build space dimensions. If you tried to go to the extremes in any axis you were met with a grinding sound as you hit the physical ends of travel. In an effort to avoid that they may have artificially truncated the dimensions in the R2/C2 series.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay I just tested this and I have a few comments:

Comment: I believed the bed to be square, it isn't as physical movement stops in different places, It is not off by much and this is just one sample so there may be a mm plus or minus. Maximum movement on the X Axis is 199 mm, the maximum movement on the Y axis is 200 mm.

Statement: The firmware dictates the size. If your software has a size larger than the firmware states it will not matter as the firmware also enforces maximum calculated endstops. So if you have a model that is 197 mm wide because it fits in Cura it will not print correctly on the printer.

Statement: The firmware is set for 196 x 196 x 260 mm.

Comment: If I were redoing the firmware I would likely only set X and Y to 198 mm, that is only 2 mm larger in each axis than the original firmware. It may not be worth the trouble.

Statement: I did not check the actual Z since I never print anything that tall.