1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 does not keep z calibration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Printer007, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Printer007

Printer007 New Member

Hi

So I solved my previous issue where the printer would try to lower the bed thru the bottom of the printer when starting a print, however I'm still having issues with the Z axis.

I go through the wizard and set Z, but when I try to print it starts off digging into the bed. I tried the fine tune z-offset, but it printed midair.

I updated my firmware to Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6 and the software is the latest Robo 2.0.0-r2.6.

These issues all started after a bad print. I had to replace one of the smaller timing belts, and now I just keep on having issues with Z.

I don't think it's a hardware issue, I never messed with the bed or it's mechanisms, just the extruder frame (took it out to replace the belt).

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm missing some simple troubleshooting steps.

2. Printer007

Printer007 New Member

See attached pic of the printer printing midair during the fine tune z-offset wizard.

20230602_170524_copy_1200x1600.jpg

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have you tried rolling back to previous version and see if the printer behaves correctly?
    You may need to clear the EEPROM (flash eprom where Marlin internal settings are stored)

https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M502.html

4. Printer007

Printer007 New Member

1.2.6 - does not keep Z-Axis calibration
    1.2.4 - causes the original issue of the bed lowering into the printer before a print, messing up the z offset
    1.1.9 Beta - hangs on 'Preparing Printer' during z-offset calibration wizard
    1.1.7-r2 - hangs on 'Preparing Printer' during z-offset calibration wizard
    1.0.0 - this kills the machine lol

5. Printer007

Printer007 New Member

I'm getting all firmware update files from github.Robo3D Marlin releases (weird formatting because of the forum)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not have an R2 to compare to, but I do have a C2.
    Check your Z offset that the printer is using that was working, then I'd suggest clearing the EEPROM and NOT running the wizard, but just manually enter the Z offset into the firmware via the LCD.

7. Printer007

Printer007 New Member

So here are the steps I took
    Reset EEPROM

Home offset -20
    Probe offset -20
    Advanced variables (not sure if these are important)
    S 0
    T 0
    Y 8
    Z .04
    E 1

I run the offset wizard, get an offset of -7.35

EEPROM now at
    Home offset -7.35
    Probe offset 0
    Advanced variables
    S 0
    T 0
    Y 8
    Z .04
    E 1

Reset EEPROM and put in -7.35

Probe is at 0 already

Try a test print

The nozzle heads towards the front of the bed as it does before every print, and digs into the bed. Then the bed slowly lowers as the nozzle moves left to right. The nozzle heads to the middle for the print and starts printing midair. It's just so weird.
    I could get a video of this. It seems like I have a wandering bed issue.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My advice would be to manually set the offset.
    Go high and work it down.
    More negative is further from the be (and less negative closer to the bed) so start at say -8.0 (or however much you think it needs to clear the bed and be OFF the bed). The do some simple 1-layer small test prints and adjust to dial it in.

When you DO get it right, WRITE it down :) If it ever gets lost/wiped you can just manually re-enter it. Fighting with the wizards is no fun and honestly -- the later releases of the Robo C2/R2 firmware were broken in one way or another.

#8 mark tomlinson, Jun 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Don't be afraid to start too high and work your way back. the numbers in that offset are in millimeters so -8.0 => 8mm offset

All of the earlier hobby FDM printers were manually leveled and offset so ... a bit of regression, but can totally be fixed to work

10. Printer007

Printer007 New Member

So I've messed around with manually setting the offset, but it seems that the actual issue is the print bed lowering at the start of the print. See bellow image. That's weird right? No idea why it's doing that. It should not be doing that. Why is it doing that?

Wonky Printer 1.jpg

I can upload a video if that would help.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Copy and paste your startup GCode block from OctoPrint. Also copy and paste your startup GCode block from the slicer you are using.
    Has to be one of them.

12. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

The most common causes for me are: The nozzle on the print head is loose. Dirt on the IR sensor. and if the print surface is not uniformly glossy the height sensor can screw up.

I can send you an R2 hex file to install that has no problems if you would like. I will have all of my upgrades. I need to know what your print surface is so I can send you a version with a corrected bed temp table.

13. Printer007

Printer007 New Member

K, I'll copy the code and post it here, and I would definitely try out your hex file Lance! My print surface is the standard one that came with the machine.

14. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member