1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered R2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rich Lienesch, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmerlin7

dmerlin7 New Member

I've had my R1+ for 9 months and never had to contact there Customer Service prior to getting the first C2 in December. I found out real quick that all request for help fall into a Black Hole never to be read by anyone, and if you do get a response they have idea of what has been sent to them in the past. I do not like to bad talk about any company but it is very obvious that they have learned nothing the past 4 years and that is that Customer Service is at the top of the list for us the consumer.

2. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Well i was suprised they finally got back with me and at first said they would send me a replacement printer. Then called me the next day and said to make sure i have updated it and they believe that was the issue. I was pissed but went ahead and updated it and it seems like it fixed the issues i was having other then i had to replace me bed with a glass bed due to thw original being warped. I would love to get the R2 but after the customer service experience im more then likely going to post my C2 up for sale. Still debating though i want to see what everyone says on the R2 whenever or (if ever) it gets shipped out.

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Isn't the R2 literally just the C2 with a moderately larger build area and heated bed (don't get me started on the C2 not having a heated bed)?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@daniel871 That is my understanding also, and a larger LCD screen. It's almost as if they took the CAD drawing and just scaled it upwards. I don't see anything in the GITHUB that indicates there is anything different about the R2 electrically and certainly not software wise, but I can't look through all the crap they have there so I might have missed something.

My guess is that for all intents and purposes the two will perform identically given the same models and using the same materials.

5. colton81

colton81 Active Member

That and the R2 has the ability to be dual extruders. The dual extrusion is what im looking at depending on how much more it is the only good ones on the market are $2,500 and up so the reviews will help me decide on that. But also the C2 bed is just way to small i should have just waited but didnt realize how much i would hate the size of the bed.

6. daniel871

Don't expect any actual reviews, there haven't really been any for the R1 or C2 by people who didn't have a falling out with Robo later (for the R1) or people that have any credibility (for the C2).

Also, there are good dual extruder printers for less than the R2 is being "pre-ordered" for that have been out for a while now (look at the Flashforge Creator Pro and other printers like it, sub-$1,000 printers that have worked well for a while now). I've seen nothing in any of the R2 marketing that addresses the issues those same printers have using dual hotends for dual extruding (rather than the single hotend/dual coldend approach used by the Prometheus system and other systems like it).

The whole dual-extrusion gimmick is exactly that, especially since the marketing for it tends to place far more emphasis on "Print with two colors!!!!" over the dissolvable support aspect (while making zero mention of how the "inactive" hotend will ooze material, the hassle of modeling for dual materials that are not supports, etc.).

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The C2 bed is really too tiny to worry about bed heat. You could add it with some effort

The R2 has a heated bed (or is supposed to and that is why the C2 has everything there for the bed heater) and is a bigger version of the C2 otherwise as far as I know (but then again, I am not Robo3D and they have not yet delivered any).

8. daniel871

Hey, I said don't get me started. Remember my previous rants about how there is no reasonable excuse for a printer that costs over $350 to be an unheated bed?

Hell, with the Monoprice Maker Select Mini being a thing that exists for $200 (I'd love to see a print-off between the Mini and the C2, they're very similar in every way that matters except for the C2 having Octopi installed on it where the Mini does not), there's no excuse for not having a heated bed on any design.

The Mini even has built-in Wifi and printer support in Windows 10 (recognized as a device without any need for a USB connection ever--lots of benefits there that shouldn't need to be listed).

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The C2 also has Wifi (it has the Pi and Octoprint as you pointed out) and I have never connected to it with USB

Yes, the bed heater is an omission that matters but there are so many materials that don't need it I don't see a huge limitation there. I suspect one of the smart folk on here will figure out a back-fit kit soon :) Going dual extrusion was easy enough since it back-inherited that from the R2.

#29 mark tomlinson, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  10. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Dont get me wrong im with you on that forgot about the flash forge but it dies have a smaller print size 225x145x150mm compared to R2 203x203x254mm . When i said reviews i meant more of the owners of the R2 posting on the forum with issues or success thats what ill be looking out for. Robo pushing back the date of delievery to me is for one of 2 issues either they are trying to perfect the machine and keep finding bugs in it. Or the manufacturer of the parts are falling behind. I dont really believe any of the crap Robo says as to why but for the sake of the backers and future customers i hope its them trying to perfect it. That said im not getting my hopes up and who knows how much more dual extrusion will cost with it since from what i read its a add on which is bull crap.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Also for the C2 the mobile app they advertise sucks at least for me it has its piuntless if you cant even check on your printer when your away you have to be on the same network the printer is and even then does it rarely work for me. I give Robo another year or two before they start going under if they dont fix their support issues. Hell they need to hire one of the guys off of this forum that helps out with everyones issue and have them do the support side lol thats if they pay enough and they are willing to do it .

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is a really valid point. It should have simply come with dual extrusion or had that selectable as an option when you bought it.
    A kit is nice, but, if it is similar to the C2 conversion I did, it is not going to be super simple and it really shouldn't need to be a kit.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are options for remoting OctoPrint like you wanted, but bear in mind that leaving a 3D printer working home alone is really not a wise option at this stage of the tech :) [we all have done it at some point I am sure, but that doesn't make it a smart choice]

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mark tomlinson just a side note, the bq app you pointed to has a lot of issues and they stopped active development in 2015 and they require an OctoPrint plugin. There are other apps for Android and iPhone that basically skin the websocket used by OctoPrint. There also was some sort of falling out between bq (Spanish company) and Gina Häußge and Thomas Sanladerer whom they hired for a short period of time.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thanks. I should have pointed out that it was not a promotion, just a link to an example. There are better ones out there :)

P.S. falling out with Tom is a really bad idea in this arena.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Off topic additional info
    bq had good intentions at the start and provided Gina with funding to spend full time hours on OctoPrint, at some point the relationship soured. Thomas doesn't speak very well of bq but I don't know the details, he was hired as an evangelist of some sort.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The simple contrast between a R2 and other capable printers that cost less is that the R2 is pretty. Some people actually have the C2 on display. My R1 is in my office where only I see it, not because it is not pretty but because it is a tool not a jewel.

19. colton81

colton81 Active Member

I agree with the looks of it. I actually have mine in my living room. Thats one reason why i bought it also i figured since they were based out of the U.S i would get better support...( not the case though) but esthetics wise its a great looking machine. And performance is good if its working at least for me but the R2 at that price point the will really need to step up their support because now they are offering to whole different group of buyers. At least how i feel.

Attached Files:

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Like everything else looks are what marketing wants/needs to make items consumer or mass market goods. I am sure that once rolling BestBuy will sell many more R2 printers than they ever did the R1 just because it looks good on display. Of course good looks and quality or value aren't a direct correlation. $1500 is just a lot of money when you know what is inside, and of that $1500 how much do you think actually goes to support the product with after sales service and spare parts. I tend to live by what I said in the last post, It's a tool, not a jewel!

If I am going to spend that kind of money I need it to actually be useful. Not to the same extent that someone like @Geof might need it to be, I don't make a living off the things I print with my 3D printers. But I do use it for practical items and test parts and mod items so it becomes a necessary part of my workflow. I don't sit in front of my printer and say to myself, 'Ooh that is sure pretty.'

BestBuy link to C2

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.